Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My First Pork Butt Low n Slow need advise

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, I have 2 pork shoulder butts from Sams club, Just washed them and getting ready to season them to sit in the fridge all day and plan to start them tonight about 6pm.I have DP dust , ragging river and cowlick, dont know which one to use yet
Just wanted to get everyones input as for times and temps.
Have digital timer and temp
which chunks of wood work with this? I have oak , guava, hickory.
I plan on watching the temp to stay stable till about 1200 then go to bed or should I still set the alarm? any help will be apreciated. Thanks
David in Spring Hill Fl

Comments

• smokeydrew
    Options
    DISH,[p]I'd go with the dizzy dust, but ragin river also would work well. The cowlick rub seems to go better on beef in my opinion. As for times and temps, cook it until it's done, and that would be 190-200*. I love both hickory and guava wood, but my wife prefers the guava since it seems to be a more subtle flavor. I'm not sure about oak, since I've only used it for beef. Just keep a constant temp of around 250* at least until it's through the plateau, and you can't really go wrong.[p]Hope that helps,
    smokeydrew

• Lazydogsaloon
    Options
    smokeydrew,[p]I like the coarse dizzy dust with a light coat of mustard over the top. I try to keep my grill @ 225-250 for the entire cook. As for the wood I use guava(my wife loves this stuff), plus I had the chance to visit with Greg and go see the wood in its native state.
    FYI I may put on low and slow now…..[p]
    Luke “Lazydogsaloon” Salazar in St Pete, Fl.

• Lazydogsaloon,
    hey neighbor, cloudy up here today. I ended up coating them with the course dust and r- river and garlic powder and one of them I rubbed with the same plus some brown sugar. I aint gonna put the kosher salt on till right before they go on. I always here of these going for 14-18 hours long , and when it hits its internal temps then do I take them and wrap in aluminum foil and sit in a cooler for how long?
    David in Spring Hill

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    buttsdonexmas.jpg
    <p />DISH,[p]Times of the cook are completely related to the weight of the meat you are cooking. 2.5 hours a pound seems to work as a rule, but nothing about a long cook is scientific.[p]Take to 200 internal, take it off the egg, wait till it cools a few degrees then pull using two forks discarding all fat.[p]This is always a good cook for me.[p]Mick

• The Virginian
    Options
    DISH,
    I would set the alarm for 3 AM and go out to check that everything is o.k., then again at 6-7 am. My experience with butt cooking time is in the 1.5 to 2 hour per lb range, cooking at about 225-240. That is per pound for one of the butts, not both combined. So, for a couple of 10 lb butts I would figure 15-20 hours. I pull them off the fire when they reach about 195 degrees internal. [p]Brett

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DISH,[p]Butts are an easy and forgiving cook. Most woods work ok and mixing the guava with some hickory will give you a mellow smoke. Make sure to let it settle down before putting the butts on.[p]Keep an eye on the grate temp, the alarm is a good idea. Too many cooks here on the Forum in the last few months have gone into the gray zone due to low or loss of fire issues. To make darn sure you are off to a good start, you can stabilize the grate temp higher than your target cook temperature. When you add the butts, the cold meat will drop it a little and you can adjust your vents after 30 or 40 minutes to get you where you want to be.[p]30 minutes before you turn in, give the lump a Woody wiggle, then check it in once more.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery