Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Going Turbo for the first time

Options
Ok, after reading tons of info, thank you all, I am going turbo with my ribs today.  I prepped 3 slabs of st Louis style ribs with Famous Daves rib rub and 3 slabs with Dizzy Dust.  Going to load all 6 slabs in my XL with the placesetter, drip pan, indirect cook at 325-350 degrees for a few hours.  Gonna use hickory and pecan wood.  First time using pecan, good choice or not?  I also have cherry and apple.  Suggestions appreciated.  I will post pics soon.  
Thanks and go Patriots!

Alex

Comments

• maso
    maso Posts: 240
    Options
    I used a single chunk of hickory and a few smaller pieces of Apple with John Henry's honey rib rub. At 300* it took about 3.5 hours. So delicious, I love the STL ribs! One thing I like to do is put a sheet of foil over the drip pan where it is "floating" above the pan, like a hammock. If you us HD foil, it'll catch and support the fat drippings without burning.

Good luck! They'll be delicious!
    Large BGE in Moore, OK
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,676
    Options
    I use cherry/pecan mix. Cherry for the color and really like pecan.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• marineforce10
    Options
    thanks guys!  Happy Super Bowl day!
  • marineforce10
    Options
    Here are the end results.  About 3.5 hours.  Very good, tender, flavorful, not fall off the bone which is what I wanted.  All 5 slabs gone in 20 minutes.  Thanks to this website I finally made decent ribs.
  • Mickey
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Very nice. And Turbo is not going to be "fall off the bone". But it has just that bit that I like in ribs. You did them right.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• marineforce10
    Options
    I apologize.  I meant that I did not want fall off the bone and did want the "bite" to them.  Thanks Mickey for, I believe, being the originator of the Turbo Rib cook.
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options

Your ribs look great!!!  I did turbo ribs yesterday also, using cherry, peach and oak.  Most excellent!!!  Did mine at 350 for only 2 hours, with Oakridge BBQ Dominator and Habanero Death Dust.  Sauced the last 30 minutes with 50/50 hot, thick Bone Sucking Sauce and Blues Hog.  Turbo ribs on the BGE are a slam dunk.

Santa Paula, CA
  • marineforce10
    marineforce10 Posts: 53
    edited February 2015
    Options
    tksmoke said:

Your ribs look great!!!  I did turbo ribs yesterday also, using cherry, peach and oak.  Most excellent!!!  Did mine at 350 for only 2 hours, with Oakridge BBQ Dominator and Habanero Death Dust.  Sauced the last 30 minutes with 50/50 hot, thick Bone Sucking Sauce and Blues Hog.  Turbo ribs on the BGE are a slam dunk.

Very nice!  I used Dizzy Dust on two slabs and then Famous Daves on 3 slabs.  30 minutes before taking them off, I added brown sugar and honey.  I took the ribs off, removed the placesetter, got the charcoal hot and slightly charred them on the meat side.  I am very happy with this technique.  
  • Mickey
    Options
    tksmoke said:

I mix that combo as well for chicken.