Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jimmy Johns ... it's what's for dinner

Options
Jeepster47
Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
Yesterday I saw a "center cut" of brisket in the local grocery store.  3.25 lbs and I wouldn't have to take out a home mortgage to buy it.  Hmmm ... nice marbling and the fat cap has been trimmed a little.  Haven't cooked a brisket yet, so decided to give it a try.  Remembered folks saying one to one-and-a-half hours is a loose estimate for brisket.  So, on it went at 10:15 this morning ... should be done after 5 hours at the latest ... great that will allow time to practice FTCing.  Hmm ... not working ... so much for rules of thumb.  Thus, the trip to Jimmy Johns for dinner ... brisket will have to be a snack tonight.

Used Oakridge BBQ's Black Ops Brisket Rub, filled the egg with Rockwood and hickory chips, set the DigiQ for 250 degrees and have been watching the temp slooooooooooowly climb for the past 8.5 hours.  IT is currently at 196 degrees and is starting to probe very nicely. Will give it another 30 minutes and it should be at 200 degrees and do that buttuh thing.

Here it is at six hours.

One very positive today is that the DigiQ has worked flawlessly all day.  The Maverick, DigiQ and dome temps have been within 10 degrees of each other for the entire cook.  One addition today was a short piece of bamboo skewer wedged in the track to tighten up the space at the rear edge of the lower vent door.

With that addition, the lower vent is really tightened down and very little air can leak in now.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options
    Eat a pound, make a pot of Salado chili, all is good!
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options

Eat a pound, make a pot of Salado chili, all is good!

Agree button.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    Pulled the brisket after nine hours on the grill ... IT was 199 ... probed like buttuh and shook like Santa's belly.  First let it cool down a little while cleaning up.  Then cut a couple of slices off for pictures and tasting.  Then cut a few more slices off for more tasting ... then a couple of more.  Good stuff.  Looks like brisket sandwiches are on for lunch and chile is on for dinner.

No fancy plates tonight.

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options
    Yessir! very nice!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,181
    Options
    If there was a fork it would be perfect.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Looks great! If you can stop yourself from eating it all, the chili is totally worth it. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,914
    Options
    Well played my friend! 
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Best little brisket I've ever seen!
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,732
    Options
    Damn that looks good. I think we call that a brisketlet in TX :D

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    Thanks for the support guys.  Love the "brisketlet" name ... will remember that.  Looked at my pics again and realized that I didn't capture how big (sic) it really was.

Will have to do a packer now.  While getting the brisket ready for the fridge, I found a part of the point that was hidden.  The flat was good, but the point was golden.

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    @caliking I know thisis OT but I see your from Houston. Did you ever hear a guy named josh innes? He's a radio guy on a Philly sports channel. I guess he worked in Houston before moving here. He's hilarious
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,732
    Options
    grege345 said:

@caliking I know thisis OT but I see your from Houston. Did you ever hear a guy named josh innes? He's a radio guy on a Philly sports channel. I guess he worked in Houston before moving here. He's hilarious

Sorry - my interest in sports is about  nil :) No idea who Josh Innes is.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,592
    Options
    Great fine tune with the bamboo skewer...Also awesome cook.. =D>
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Bravo!  Looks good Jeepster.  I have had good luck with the packers from Costco in EP.  Haven't got ballsy enough to buy one from Alwans' yet.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL