Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Chuck Pot Roast Using It's My Rub

Options
We like pot roasts, so when we find a Prime cut of meat on sale, we get it. H.E.B. $5.97 a pound. Take a look and you'll see why.

imageIMG_3488 by springchickentexas, on Flickr

My job is to light and tame the Egg. Judy does all the magic prep work. Good thing, because I'm more of a "Heat it and Eat it" sort of cook. Hey, it's a 'patience' thing - I don't have a lot of it.

But we took some photos to show why we like Pot Roasts so much.

The Stuff...

imageIMG_3489 by springchickentexas, on Flickr

Sweat'n some of the veggies...

imageIMG_3492 by springchickentexas, on Flickr

In the pot...

imageIMG_3493 by springchickentexas, on Flickr

On the Egg...

imageIMG_3494 by springchickentexas, on Flickr

First stir...

imageIMG_3496 by springchickentexas, on Flickr

Second stir...

imageIMG_3497 by springchickentexas, on Flickr

Almost ready...

imageIMG_3500 by springchickentexas, on Flickr

Five minutes later we were sit'n at the table. It was fantastic! The meat was so tender we didn't need anything to cut it. Same with the veggies. Everything was perfect.

About 3 hrs and 20 minutes @ 350° indirect.

Got lots more to save for a rainy day. I think it's going to rain Saturday.

I should'a made some cornbread for it.

I'm still full from it, enough to pop a button.

Spring "Pot Belly'd" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    One of my favorite winter cooks as well.  Corn bread would have completed the meal!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    (like)
    Seattle, WA
  • Froman
    Froman Posts: 201
    Options
    I'm going to try this. We love pot roast. Would be fun to cook it on the egg!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Looks very good Mr Chicken!!! I do something very similar Can't beat a good roast.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Deviledegger
    Options
    Damn! I like the looks of that. Thanks for sharing.
  • buddyclaude
    Options
    How did you prep the meat?  Is it marinating in the stainless steel bowl?  Was it pre cooked?  I have a roast in the fridge and am planning to a pot roast cook.  Your finished meal looks delicious.  Thanks for sharing.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options

buddyclaude... Wife said she just put the meat in the dutch oven on the stove top to sear while I was bringing the Egg up to temperature. Then she took the meat out so she could give the veggies a little spin in the dutch oven.  Then she seasoned the meat and added everything else including some Louisiana Gravy Mix, and stock and whatever else.  Then we put it on the Egg, indirect sitting on an inverted plate setter @ 350° until done.  Stirred a couple of times but that's about it. 

It's a very easy meal to prepare.  No special times to do something or when done.  Another hour of cooking is just going to make it better.

In this instance we were using a Prime chuck roast, but I suspect a Choice would do just as well. 

I just made some homemade Irish Butter and buttermilk to make some cornbread to go with another dinner of the pot roast tonight.

Good luck with yours.

Spring "What Kind Of Wine Goes With Pot Roast And Cornbread" Chicken