Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Party Q

Options
I am interested in a temp controller for longer and overnight cooks. Does the party q work well or should I fork out the extra money and go with the digi q? Thanks!!

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Yes, it works well.  It is a no frills controller that does what it says.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    My feeling is that after you get a taste of the Party Q you will end up buying the Digi Q. If you don't plan on using it somewhere that there is no power just buy the Digi Q. In the end you will save money.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I have a PartyQ, works great. I rigged an AC adapter so I could use it plugged in or with batteries.

That said, I do have a Stoker on order. I suspect the PartyQ will only be used when I'm away from AC power once it arrives.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I will offer this suggestion, if you already own a dual probe remote thermo, the party q is a great idea. You will end up with simple pit control and remote reading of the pit and meat temps. I think that is a pretty slick way to go and quite versatile. I don't use my digi q often, but when I do it's quite valuable. For the vast majority of people the party q is all you'll need. There are lots who prolly won't admit that.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Mickey gave me his party q. It's really nice and does a great job but it's just not necessary. I rarely use it.

If you are new to your egg, it may be something you use but at this point, I know what my egg is going to do before it does it. I adjust accordingly.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I love my Party Q. If you also get a Maverick, you have everything you need for a low and slow cook w/monitoring capability for a good nights rest. It's your cheapest way out. Very reliable. Had mine for over a year with no issues.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • DIAD
    DIAD Posts: 187
    Options
    I also think that the party q and maverick is the perfect combo for sweet dreams! I have not changed the batteries yet and have almost 30 hours on them. I do, however bring the temp up without the fan to preserve the batteries.
    Chester, MD
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options

I have the DigiQ....its a no brainer for winter cooks here in Wisconsin. The battery operated controller won't hold up in 20 degree weather.

The party Q works fine from all of the reviews..but spend your money once buy the DigiQ...you'll be glad you did. 

A lot of people wil buy inexpensive and regret it.

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I would definitely go with a plug In Model. You can do the pitmaster for around the same price. I used that partyQ travis has and the battery died in one cook. It was really cold but that was enough for me. It took me a year to get used to it but I really enjoy my CyberQ now. I would get all you are comfortable spending. You will want more down the road.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited January 2015
    Options
    bcsnave said:

I have the DigiQ....its a no brainer for winter cooks here in Wisconsin. The battery operated controller won't hold up in 20 degree weather.

can you explain why the party q wont work when it is in the 20's.  does the motor ice up?
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Ragtop99 said:

bcsnave said:

can you explain why the party q wont work when it is in the 20's.  does the motor ice up?

The batteries die.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Don't know anything about the PartyQ ... but in cold weather, battery capacity would be greatly reduced and fan load would be increased.  Looks like the functional specs are a little too close to battery capacity.

Can you use a larger battery pack or are the batteries internal?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• SloppyJoe
    SloppyJoe Posts: 406
    Options
    Get the Digi Q
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Sold my Digi Q and gave my Party Q to Travis. Just don't see the need for wires. Life is simple now.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bcrombie
    Options
    Ok, the money does not matter, so Digi Q or Cyber Q?
  • ummgood
    ummgood Posts: 120
    Options
    If money doesn't matter get a Stoker :)
    Austin, TX
    BGE-Large, Weber EP-330
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Money really wasn't a matter with my purchase, but I just wanted simplicity.  I don't use a controller often enough to require something like a DigiQ, Cyber Q, or the Stoker.  I liked having something that didn't require AC too.  It doesn't get that cold in my area, so that isn't a factor.  You can make an AC adapter if you like for the Party Q or you could get a IQ controller.  

To answer your question, might as well get the Cyber Q then so you can control via Wifi.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    For the record I have never had trouble in cold weather with my party q. I have dedicated rechargeable batteries for it and his never let me down in the middle of the night. I went with it because of cost and didn't want to run extension cords. On a side note I don't use it as much as I use to. I've gotten pretty comfortable with settings. It's used exclusively for over night cooks. In conjunction with the maverick 732 It works for me
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos