Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Has Anybody Here Tried

Options
2»

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I have not, but I hope you take plenty of pics. Sounds interesting.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    @bweekes‌ interesting analogy. It's different so it's nonsense. The first time I saw @hapster‌ throw a probably $30-$40 steak onto the lump (caveman). My first thoughts were...that's freaking genius! Not it's stupid or it's a load of nonsense. My OP was have any of you tried this? I personally like to explore new and different and maybe even borderline ridiculous prepping and cooking methods. Some share this passion and some don't. That's cool man.
    Apologies @NPHuskerFL. I perhaps mis-fired with my post. To answer your question, I have not tried it, but certainly curious to see how it turn out. As I mentioned, I'm also a fan of APL - I think he's innovative and talented. And for the record, the first time I saw @hapster caveman his steak, I thought "this guy is awesome" also! With the APL video, I was just having trouble finding the value proposition, that's all. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @bweekes‌ when I first saw it I thought this is completely insane...I've gotta do it. Lol
    Mine is a 2 bone (not 4). The funny thing is I've never egged or even cooked a rib roast period. This is completely unfamiliar waters for me. Hopefully I can swim in the current because I'm definitely out in the blue water on this. Figuratively speaking. Either way I'll do my best at documentation on this one.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    Honestly, I don't quite get why APL did it.  Every time prime rib roast go on sale I buy the biggest one I can, since my grocer limits the sale to one per household, and I cut it up into cowboy steaks.  I have a freezer full of them year round. I cook them "like a steak". If I have friends over, I cook more of them.  I thought it was a cool new innovative way to cook a prime rib roast, but I still didn't quite get why he did it lol.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    ^^ "... But I still didn't quite get why he did it."

That's exactly why I want to do it. And why I keep returning to this forum.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    good point lol. I f'ing hate you guys…now I have to go back to the store and buy a four bone prime rib…seriously hate you guys.
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    @bweekes‌ when I first saw it I thought this is completely insane...I've gotta do it. Lol Mine is a 2 bone (not 4). The funny thing is I've never egged or even cooked a rib roast period. This is completely unfamiliar waters for me. Hopefully I can swim in the current because I'm definitely out in the blue water on this. Figuratively speaking. Either way I'll do my best at documentation on this one.
    Anxiously standing by my friend. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Lots of competition in his business and he's successful by pushing the edge in his way. For some chefs that means making foam from the sperm of a sea urchin. For him it's being dramatic and bashing a $100+ piece of meat that's going to be great as long as you don't overcook it. He's just being a showman to keep his name out there.

I'm sure it's going to be great, I don't really see how you could ruin it, probably just makes cooking it easier.
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Well said @Legume.  Looking forward to that on the Egg.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    good point lol. I f'ing hate you guys…now I have to go back to the store and buy a four bone prime rib…seriously hate you guys.

Why do you need to get a 4 bone to try this? He cut it into a 2 bone to do it. Just get a 2 bone one. I may take one of my 2 bone and try one sometime or just cook it normally for the first time.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Why not give it a shot? I say go for it Blake. If you want some idea as to why APL is worth mimicking, compare Serious Barbecue to just about any other barbecue "cookbook" out there. He's playing chess to everyone else's checkers.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    It does look like a cool and fun cook.  I am also trying to see the reason for it though.  If I have a big roast and I want to cook steaks...I slice it into steaks :D.  Honestly pounding a $100 piece of meat into 1 big steak seems like doing it for the sake of doing it.  But hey...I've spent way more than $100 for the sake of doing it.   

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options

Why do you need to get a 4 bone to try this? He cut it into a 2 bone to do it. Just get a 2 bone one. I may take one of my 2 bone and try one sometime or just cook it normally for the first time.
    He said to take a three or four and remove the bones down to two so you have something to pound out. If you try you pound out a two bone with the bones attached you will end up with an uneven cut that won't cook evenly.