Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OK to stuff pork tenderloin ahead of time?

Options
I'm cooking for my wires family this coming Saturday.  I was thinking of trying my first brisket, but am worried I'll have to work Saturday so I've decided to try some stuffed pork tenderloins, also a first.  Is it ok to prep and stuff them ahead of time, probably Friday night after work, thus having them ready to go on the egg when I get home from work Saturday?  I can't see why not, but some reassurance would be nice.

Cheers
Lethbridge, Alberta         LBGE & MM

Comments

• orbbq
    orbbq Posts: 39
    edited January 2015
    Options
    It probably depends on what you are stuffing it with.  Spinich or the like might start getting mushy.  Stores sell them stuffed so they must be good for at least a few days though!

I just stuffed my first one tonight and the total time including the spiral filet cut, slathering on the fillings, rolling it, tie wrap and bacon weave took less time than the egg took to get to temp.  I was really surprised at how fast the process was.  Took only about 15 minutes total.

BTW, i did mine indirect at 285 grid, ~300 dome, pulled at 140-145 IT, was about a 3 pounder once stuffed, came out perfect, but took about 2:15.  I'd recommend going 350-375 if doing indirect and want it done in a reasonable amount of time.
    BGE XL in the Pacific NW
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    As mentioned the ingredients in the pork tender should determine the shelf life.  Also here is a brisket method that works for me.
    Tenderloin:

Brisket:
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options

You sure can. I would omit any bread stuff. Cured meat is great and also prevents melted cheese from leaking. You can splay out and pound several together.

(Procuitto and Calabrese salami
    P1030586.jpg

This image has been resized to fit in the page. Click to enlarge.

Provolone, green onions and sliced garlic
    P1030589.jpg

Sundried tomatoes, bomba
    P1030590.jpg

Pile of Genoa salami
    P1030592.jpg

All wrapped up
    P1030594.jpg

Egged
    P1030597.jpg

Very good
    P1030598.jpg

This image has been resized to fit in the page. Click to enlarge)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Crap - that's like a huge Italian grinder in pork bread!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Legume said:
    Crap - that's like a huge Italian grinder in pork bread!
    We just call them Italian sandwiches here but that was sort of the inspiration. Need to do another one soon.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    @Little Steven, I have some large pork tenderloins in the freezer and I may have to barrow this. My wife says pork line has no taste and with this I don't think she could complain about it. Have you ever wrapped it in bacon too?
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Doing them the night before is no problem. That way you won't be running around the day of and running yourself ragged. Relax and enjoy the cook.
    @Ladeback69‌ when you cut the loin I rub the outside with whatever you like and I also put s&p on the inside along with the filling to give some added flavor. Bacon wrap is a plus. We like them with and without.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Little Steven
    Options
    @Little Steven, I have some large pork tenderloins in the freezer and I may have to barrow this. My wife says pork line has no taste and with this I don't think she could complain about it. Have you ever wrapped it in bacon too?
    I have but prefer the charcouterie inside. I've made them with all sorts of stuffings. I think a bread stuffing with sausage and dehydrated apples is my current fav.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• TCT
    TCT Posts: 168
    Options

@Little Steven

Did you use 2 tenderloins? Any hints on keeping them together for the roll? BTW, that cook looks awesome!!

Craig

Cockeysville, MD

LBGE and a large list of stuff I want

• Little Steven
    edited January 2015
    Options
    That one was three. You splay them and pound them out. Then lay them out overlapping by a couple of inches, lay the one out that is closest to you and then overlap away from you. I generally lay a bunch of individual strings down before I pound the seams. PM me if you have any questions...I'm at least a few beers in at this point.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• noregard
    noregard Posts: 306
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, going to get groceries in a few minutes.

@orbbq , I've never even done a bacon weave yet, that alone will take me 20 minutes!

@Little Steven, that is one of the most incredible things I've ever seen.  Hard to imaging you squeezed all that into one tenderloin, takes some serious skill!   EDIT: just noticed that was 3 tenders???!!! Wow, hats off.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Do the bacon weave if it takes an hour. The added moisture and the presentation are worth the time.
  • orbbq
    Options
    one tip to weave, especially if your bacon is thin, is to weave it on a piece of saran wrap, then place your item on it, then you can use the edge of the saran wrap to pull the whole weave like a sheet over it in one motion.
    BGE XL in the Pacific NW
  • noregard
    Options
    @orbbq, great tip thanks.

Here's a question… I'm going to put sausage in one of them, do i pre-cook the sausage or put it in raw??
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @noregard-I always pre-cook any sausage or chorizo before using it as a filler for the intended cook.  Never had anyone say "overcooked the filler" but then again, I may have screened my audience. :)  Or had a few adult beverages...Bottom-line; if you pre-cook then you are not worrying about the finish temp.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    Wowza!
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    I'd precook. Cooking sausage inside= big greasy mess. IMHO.
  • noregard
    Options
    Both good points, and duly noted.  Thanks a lot.
  • noregard
    Options
    I'm going to try and do three different rolls.

1. sausage, stuffing, cranberry goat cheese  (bacon wrap??)

2. spinach, basil, provolone, feta, proscuito, genoa salami,

3. pizza sauce, salami, proscuitto, provolone  (maybe I should get some mozza for this one?)

A lot of firsts for me on this cook, hope i can pull it off.  It's for my mother in laws 65th birthday, don't want to blow it.  Any foreseeable problems with these combos?

Also will be doing potatoes on the egg, my standard way… red potato cut in half, evoo, pepper and either a rub or seasoning salt.  I usually have them on for close to one hour, almost always turn out great.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Solid plan. You're gonna nail this!
  • noregard
    Options
    We'll see!!

Taking my Grandma out for breakfast in the AM, then its prep time.  Looking forward to some egging, first day off tomorrow since the new year.  I had planned on doing some preliminary work tonight, but between inter webbing, watching a movie with the Mrs, and drinking whiskey my ambitions quickly melted away.
    :-bd
  • noregard
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I must say, @Little Steven picture of his humungo tenderloin on the grill is probably the most enticing picture I've seen, perfection.
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Better to stuff them before. Hard as hell to stuff them after :-?
  • orbbq
    Options
    noregard said:
    I'm going to try and do three different rolls.

1. sausage, stuffing, cranberry goat cheese  (bacon wrap??)

2. spinach, basil, provolone, feta, proscuito, genoa salami,

3. pizza sauce, salami, proscuitto, provolone  (maybe I should get some mozza for this one?)

I did a similar one to #3, pizza sauce, pepperoni, moz, black olive... was great, but the pepperoni was very strong, almost overpowering.  Salami will probably be a notch or two lower, but I was surprised at how much flavor the pepperoni and olives added.  I think it was from the oil release in the pepperoni that really stewed it into the pork more.

Oh and i would vote for bacon weave on all 3, if nothing else it adds moisture.
    BGE XL in the Pacific NW
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    noregard said:
    I must say, @Little Steven picture of his humungo tenderloin on the grill is probably the most enticing picture I've seen, perfection.

But did he win a MAJOR award
  • noregard
    Options
    OK, things are happening!  Just put 2 of 3 on the egg, decided to freeze the third.  Quite shocking at how much those little tenderloins grow when they're filled with goodies, I'll save the third for another time.

Here's a few pics, it really was pretty simple all the way through.  

The pizza one…

On the second one I left the bacon long on the middle to cover the end of the roll, seemed to work pretty good.

The sausage/stuffing one…

The "greek" one…

Three little piggys

Pretty excited to see how they turn out, egg is holding at a hair under 300* for now.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Looks amazing!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• noregard
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Spuds are on.

The middle of the rolls are reading almost 130* already (1.5 hours in), I thought it would take longer.

The thermapen is still very new to me, when probing do I need to ensure its in a piece of the meat?  I'd think that if I'm probing into the middle (which is most likely toppings), that should be at least the temp of the surrounding meat/fillings.  Does that make sense?

One of the rolls has sprung a pretty good cheese leak!  AAAHHHH!!!
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
  • noregard
    Options
    OK folks, it's a rap!  Another success, rave reviews all around the table.  Everyone is always amazed at how good egged food is, even the kids (somewhat fussy eaters) ate it up.  I enjoyed both the pizza and the sausage/stuffing roll, hard to pick a favourite really.

I learned a few things and know that next time I do these they will be even better.  I should have put my potatoes on earlier as the meat cooked considerably faster than I expected.  IT of the rolls was 165, but fortunately I was the only one who seemed to notice.

Overall I'm still amazed at how easy these were to do, definitely something a guy could whip up after work.

Last of the pics.  As always thanks for all the help!!

How's this for an action shot, crisp that bacon!

Managed a pretty good smoke ring even.

Plated with caesar salad, smashed carrots and rutabaga