Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vitamix 750 vs 5200 vs BlendTec vs ...

Options
2»

Comments

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    That is a darn good deal.

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Lvnthedrm
    Lvnthedrm Posts: 153
    edited January 2015
    Options
    DMW said:
    Ok, I think we want a high end blender. I returned the Kitchenaid 11 cup food processor before I used it after reading poor reviews. I just got a mandolin, so I'm thinking a good blender would be more useful than a FP, also easier to clean.

Woot has this deal today, any opinions if this is a good deal?

http://home.woot.com/offers/blendtec-total-blender-classic-black-3

In my opinion this Costco deal is better even though more expensive for 2 reasons...

http://www.costco.com/Blendtec®-Total-Blender-Classic-with-WildSide-Jar-%2526-Twister-Jar.product.100052400.html 

1) the Costco deal comes with the wildside jar which is the better jar. I have both jars and rarely use the standard. The fact that the woot deal doesn't mention wildside I assume it's the standard. 
    2) the Costco deal comes with the twister jar. I don't have it but have been thinking of getting it and it's not cheap. This is only of value to you if you would see yourself using it. 
    iMHO these 2 additions offset the small additional cost and would be cheaper long term
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    tksmoke said:

Thanks all!!!  Great comments.  As mentioned, any of the above would probably be more than I need.  I ended up purchasing the Vitamix 750.  I like the idea of program settings, the tamper, and the quieter motor.  After using it some, I'll probably have a whole different set of reasons.  When buying a long term item, I've learned the hard way that it is better to spend a little more, and not have to buy it twice.  A quick run to the store in the morning to buy smoothie fixins, and I'll fire it up.  I haven't forgotten the egg though - Turbo Butt for dinner tomorrow.

@tksmoke‌ congrads on the 750 I think you will love it. Did you also get the dry mix container? I got it but have yet to use it.

try the potato soup from the cookbook dang it's good.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have a Vitamix and almost never use it aside from making applesauce and smoothies.  To me, it's an incredibly overpriced (albeit powerful) blender and all the "whole food" claims are nothing but marketing as you generally don't want pulp from fruits and veggies in your food - your body kicks these out naturally and there's no significant nutritional value in pulp.  (That said, I'm sure soups are pretty good and that'd be a good use but have not tried that yet as we don't venture much beyond chicken noodle).

I get a lot more use out of my juicers (Green Star and Omega - I have two) than my Vitamix.  (BTW - if you want to do juices of any kind, a juicer is a LOT better way to go from a nutrition standpoint).

Cleaning the Vitamix is also a PITA - why they don't make a screw off base (that I've found) so that you can clean from the bottom like an average 'blender' is beyond me.
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Lvnthedrm said:
    DMW said:
    Ok, I think we want a high end blender. I returned the Kitchenaid 11 cup food processor before I used it after reading poor reviews. I just got a mandolin, so I'm thinking a good blender would be more useful than a FP, also easier to clean.

Woot has this deal today, any opinions if this is a good deal?

http://home.woot.com/offers/blendtec-total-blender-classic-black-3

In my opinion this Costco deal is better even though more expensive for 2 reasons...

http://www.costco.com/Blendtec®-Total-Blender-Classic-with-WildSide-Jar-%2526-Twister-Jar.product.100052400.html 

1) the Costco deal comes with the wildside jar which is the better jar. I have both jars and rarely use the standard. The fact that the woot deal doesn't mention wildside I assume it's the standard. 
    2) the Costco deal comes with the twister jar. I don't have it but have been thinking of getting it and it's not cheap. This is only of value to you if you would see yourself using it. 
    iMHO these 2 additions offset the small additional cost and would be cheaper long term
    Yeah! I bought the twister jar for spice grinding and it was 120 bucks.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• tisoypops
    tisoypops Posts: 267
    Options
    @DMW‌ that looks like a pretty good deal to me
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    SmokyBear said:
    Cleaning the Vitamix is also a PITA - why they don't make a screw off base (that I've found) so that you can clean from the bottom like an average 'blender' is beyond me.
    We've owned an assortment of "inexpensive" blenders over the years.  Never been truly happy with any of them.  They never wore out because they didn't do what we wanted so we didn't use them that much.  The missus decided we needed a good blender, so we did a really scientific survey ... checked out what the resort used at the bars ... Vitamix.  That decided the brand ... the choice of model was a "buy the most powerful" one decision.

We bought the Vitamix 750 and have been very happy with it.  Fits on the counter and under the upper cabinets.  Cleaning couldn't be easier.  Fill the container half way with warm water and a drop or two of soap, then dial clean and flip the start switch ... walk away for a minute while it does it's thing.  It doesn't rinse and dry itself, but we've never had to tear it down for cleaning.  This one gets used more than any of the previous units.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options

This morning was the maiden voyage.  Threw in fresh raspberries, blueberries, banana, spinach, some almond milk, a little ice, set the switch to smoothie, and pressed the start button.  Less than a minute later we had a great tasting (and dare I say healthy) concoction.  So easy!!  Cleanup was a snap too - put in a drop of detergent, fill half way with warm water, turn the knob to the wash cycle and press start.  Yes, I did need to take the container off and rinse it afterwards, but other than that, no problem.  I can see this will be a VERY useful weapon in the kitchen arsenal. 

@badinfluence - did not get the dry container.  In my research (and what do I know?) saw lots of evidence that occasional dry mixing/grinding is fine in the wet container.  I'll hold off on that and see what my experience is.  I'm planning on doing the potato soup tomorrow night.  It looks most excellent.  The GFU is on a health kick (ok, so am I) and I'm doing some chicken breasts for her lunches next week after the pork butt comes off this afternoon. 

As far as a home for the Vitamix, I have one surface with more cabinet clearance above it.  I thought I would use it there.  It isn't as close to the sink and cutting board, so I changed my plan. It's now stored under a lower cabinet, with the container in the cupboard above it.  I have plenty of clearance to use it in front of the cupboard, so to me that is not an issue.  It seems impossible to use any blender under a cupboard, even if you have some clearance - don't know if I'm missing something...

Santa Paula, CA
  • badinfluence
    Options
    @tksmoke‌ I got the dry container when I got the blender as if I got it at the same time it was 50.00 more so I figured what was another 50.00 when the darn thing cost 650.00 anyways.

I too don't know what everyone is talking about with the upper cabinets. It fits but not alot if room but I pull it out from under it to use it anyways.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @Lvnthedrm - Thanks, I just ordered the Costco deal.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Eggdam
    Eggdam Posts: 223
    Options
    I have been looking at the Vitamix and the Blend Tec as well.  It seems they are very comparable units.  I am leaning towards the Blend Tec as it will stay on the counter and the Vitamix is too tall to fit under the upper cupboards.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Hmmm ... now I understand what you guys are talking about with the Vitamix not fitting under the cabinets. 

Our cabinets are 18" above the counter and our Vitamix 750 measures 17.5" tall with the cover in place.  The missus tells me that is the "stubby" model.  Looked it up and it's called the "low profile" model with specs that say it's 17.25" high.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    @badinfluence - made the potato chicken soup tonight, and it was great.  Next time I'll make it a little spicier, but it's amazing what the Vitamix will do.  Our morning smoothies have all been killer!!  I can't believe I waited so long to get one. 
    Santa Paula, CA
  • badinfluence
    Options
    @tksmoke‌ I said the same thing.

Clinton, Iowa
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    I always make a smoothie in the morning. I put about 20 ounces of water or whatever liquid, then throw random fruit and vegetables in i think will be good. Today was an apple, banana, kale, blueberry, and carrot with a bit of honey. Next time I wont do the honey. Its amazing how the blendtec just destroys everything, even the apple seeds were a distant memory!

• greenenvy
    Options

We went with Blendtec. First one failed after only a few uses because the blade gears couldn't handle the power and failed after leaving some black dust all over the innards.

Second has been going strong for about 150+ daily smoothies.

Only complaint is that it really should come with hearing protection. I actually feel bad for our dog every time we run it.

Would definitely buy from Costco if that is an option. Better deals on the packages, and easy returns.

your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.” Anthony Bourdain, Kitchen Confidential

LBGE in SATX

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    SmokyBear said:
    I have a Vitamix and almost never use it aside from making applesauce and smoothies.  To me, it's an incredibly overpriced (albeit powerful) blender and all the "whole food" claims are nothing but marketing as you generally don't want pulp from fruits and veggies in your food - your body kicks these out naturally and there's no significant nutritional value in pulp.  (That said, I'm sure soups are pretty good and that'd be a good use but have not tried that yet as we don't venture much beyond chicken noodle).

I get a lot more use out of my juicers (Green Star and Omega - I have two) than my Vitamix.  (BTW - if you want to do juices of any kind, a juicer is a LOT better way to go from a nutrition standpoint).

When done, add water (half-full in whatever size container is being used), and a couple of drops of Dawn.  Let it rip on high for 30 seconds or so.  Rinse.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• WC1
    WC1 Posts: 42
    Options
    Vitamix also sells refurbed units on their website which are about 60% of the full retail price and come with a 5yr warranty instead of the 7 yr warranty on the full price models.
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    Never had an issue with the blend tec I think it is awesome, make all kinds of things with it, it will absolutely liquefy, I wish I had the vitamix top to stir with, but no other complaints.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I always make a smoothie in the morning. I put about 20 ounces of water or whatever liquid, then throw random fruit and vegetables in i think will be good. Today was an apple, banana, kale, blueberry, and carrot with a bit of honey. Next time I wont do the honey. Its amazing how the blendtec just destroys everything, even the apple seeds were a distant memory!
    You might want to rethink eating the apple seeds, as they contain cyanide.  See article below.

Otherwise I agree.  A home made smoothie just tastes healthy.

Phoenix 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    SmokyBear said:

Boy, shucks. Buying a USA-made product with a long warranty blows!

On the pulp thing. There is a lot of "nutritional value" in pulp. It's called cellulose, or "insoluble fiber". This adds bulk, making you feel full, as well as causing a laxative effect which prevents constipation. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    @SmokyBear‌ I have the exact opposite experience. We bought a juicer first and used it for like a week and realized what a pain in the ass it was. Juice like 50 pounds of various fruits and end up with 2 pitchers of juice and a full garbage can. I love the vitamix.
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    We too had a juicer before. Before, meaning prior to the time my wife put a pomegranate in it. Needless to say, the blendtec is a great addition to the kitchen.

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    I was closing down and de-branding a coffee store that shall remain unnamed, they use Blend tec and left them all there to be disposed of. So being experimental construction guys, we had seen the video of a guy who put a phone in a blender, sooo, one cell phone, and a set of keys, and some key fobs from the lost and found box, we couldn't destroy it, we tried.
    :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    anton said:

I was closing down and de-branding a coffee store that shall remain unnamed, they use Blend tec and left them all there to be disposed of. So being experimental construction guys, we had seen the video of a guy who put a phone in a blender, sooo, one cell phone, and a set of keys, and some key fobs from the lost and found box, we couldn't destroy it, we tried.

Starbucks? All the ones around me use blendtec. I would have taken one home. Those commercial ones are really nice.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Blendtec owners , if you don't own one....dat twister jar.

Yes I use one of those kids cups for smoothies B-)
    Seattle, WA
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    @SkinnyV‌ the twister jar has been my favorite part of the Costco deal. I use it 80% of the time compared to the wildside.
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    @Eggcelsior, Next time hopefully, corporate rules dictate that all equip go to another store , or disposed of. Similar to the way big stores cut shoes and destroy clothes before they go in dumpsters. Horrible corporate practices in my humble opinion,but I have a job I like, and want to keep. There are the other times where it's free pickins, depends on the regional managers, etc. I have come into many good freebies, always ask first though.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • RJD253
    RJD253 Posts: 9
    Options
    Have had my Vitamix 750 for over a year.  Does a great job with smoothies, nut butters, soups and anything else thrown its way.  The self cleaning setting is great.
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    I'm going to be the odd person out. I have a blend tec. It's a great high power blender. After a few years, it seems like the attachment piece was starting to strip, as they were always black bits on the part where the pitcher attached. On a whim, I bought a ninja. I prefer my ninja for my daily needs. We do smoothies and with three individual smoothie cups, we can make our own to our on liking, put the lid on, and go. The other blender functions work as well as my blend tec. It's much cheaper. I'm now a ninja fan.
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy