Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Three Cooks: Wings, Steak, Gasket.......

Options

Treated myself to a LBGE and table this Christmas.  After-all, I was good for the most part of the year.  First cook was wings/thighs indirect.  Started out ok but I soon realized I didn't start with enough lump so I had to refuel during the cook.  I ended up getting it too hot coming back up to temp and burned some thighs that were not over the plate setter.

Second cook was rib-eye steaks direct in a CI skillet and it also started out ok.  I had enough lump this time and was looking for a steady 600F.  I accidently let it get as hot as 800F while getting to temp when I went inside to grab a beer and got distracted by the wife.  Man this thing can heat up quick.  Anyway, the steaks came out great and I closed the vents and put the damper on top when I was done, and the next morning I noticed the gasket was curling up on the bottom dome and the top dome was now off center about a half inch from the bottom.  Dealer is coming out to check this out.

Next up tonight is some salmon, can't wait to see how I mess this up!  It's gonna take a lot of trial and error to get better at this, but I'm learning something new with each cook and loving it.

XL and a Mini-Max.
Boca Raton, FL

Comments

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    Rutland gasket and re-adjust your dome/tighten the bolts. Re: alignment- betting nuts weren't tight/lossened during your first few cooks. Re: Gasket: You charred it. Very typical. Install a rutland.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    +1 on the Rutland. Ask Ron. @RRP‌

On another note. Nice freaking view!
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Greedygoat
    Options

Dealer came out this afternoon and replaced 1/5th of the gasket on the lower dome,re-aligned the domes and tightened the bolts.

Are you guys suggesting I remove the entire gasket top and bottom now and replace with or Rutland.  Also, where do you get it I don't see the flat available on Amazon.

XL and a Mini-Max.
    Boca Raton, FL
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options

Dealer came out this afternoon and replaced 1/5th of the gasket on the lower dome,re-aligned the domes and tightened the bolts.

Are you guys suggesting I remove the entire gasket top and bottom now and replace with or Rutland.  Also, where do you get it I don't see the flat available on Amazon.

1/5th of a gasket. huh? That's interesting. Shoot me a PM and I can explain about the Rutland.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Welcome
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Welcome aboard. Sorry your gasket bit the dust so soon. That seems very premature. 8-} Dealer replaced 1/5th of the gasket. That's like saying I got my wife sorta pregnant. Wow! They should've replaced the whole thing. But, no worries. If you decide to install the Rutland be sure to follow the enclosed directions Ron includes with each gasket and use high temp ultra copper Permatex.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Greedygoat
    Options

My name is Greg and I'm becoming an eggaholic.  For my 4th cook I did 3 racks of BB ribs.  The came out great, the only problem now is I haven't even owned my LBGE for a month yet and I'm starting to get the itch to add another already.  Thinking a SBGE would be a nice addition.  God help me!

XL and a Mini-Max.
    Boca Raton, FL
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Slow down slugger, you didn't tell us about how you messed up the salmon?  You're squeezing quite a bit of learning into your first week.  Accelerated program.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Seriously he only replaced a part of the gasket?? =))
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Welcome. Your gonna get another egg sooner or later. Might as well go get it now.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Wow, way to dive in there.  That sucks about the gasket, they only replaced pieces.  I'd contact BGE customer service.

Where ya from??
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,399
    Options
    @Greedygoat-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Great start and I'm with the above on questioning the 1/5th gasket replacement.  Regarding the next BGE, if you can throttle back and wait for an eggfest you can save enough $$ to buy more than enough aftermarket toys (well, that may be a stretch...) but you get the idea.  Meanwhile, press on and have fun!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    Welcome way to dive into the bge life
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • Greedygoat
    Options

Legume said:
    Slow down slugger, you didn't tell us about how you messed up the salmon?  You're squeezing quite a bit of learning into your first week.  Accelerated program.

Salmon came out ok.  Next time I won't set my grate as high so I can crisp it up more

XL and a Mini-Max.
    Boca Raton, FL
  • Greedygoat
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Seriously he only replaced a part of the gasket?? =))

Yep, you can see the piece they replaced it the bottom of the picture.  I haven't seen any smoke escaping but I'm going to replace it with a Rutland anyway.

XL and a Mini-Max.
    Boca Raton, FL
  • Greedygoat
    Options
    logchief said:
    Where ya from??

South FL
    XL and a Mini-Max.
    Boca Raton, FL