Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flankin Fail -How 2 Cook These?

Options
I've tried these Flankin cut Beef Ribs low & slow & was not impressed? I thought at the time I must have over cooked them. This cook was @ 600 for approx 4 min a side to IT 140 or so and looked good but very chewy. I'm thinking of wrapping the left overs in foil & in the oven @ 300 for an hour or two to see what happens, Any tips or suggestions for the next time are appreciated. I think they have potential.
Barrie,Ont.,Canada.

Comments

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    AFAIK, these are basically beef back ribs "cut the other way".  They have to be cooked relatively low/slow or braised (which again implies slow) unless you like beef jerky consistency.  You should be able to use methods similar to turbo ribs and get good results if you don't want to spend the time non-turbo would take.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If those are what I think, I have had them sliced a little under 1/4" thick. The mexican butcher in town will slice them that way. Then you marinaded for a while in lime and chilli peppers. Then grilled direct.

I think they started life as beef short ribs.

They were really good and not tough at all.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • greenenvy
    Options

Those are great thin-cut and marinated in Korean marinade. I usually get them cut 1/4-1/3" and soak em for a day in a marinade I make out of soy sauce, Asian (apple) pears, garlic, brown sugar, green onions, and likely some other stuff that escapes me at the moment. I think the enzymes from the pear tenderize the meat.

5 minutes or so on a hot grill and they get destroyed on every occasion that I've made them.

your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.” Anthony Bourdain, Kitchen Confidential

LBGE in SATX