Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE pizza stone vs. lodge cast iron pizza pan

Options
Looking to get a pizza stone soon but unsure which one would be best. I think I would use the lodge one for pizzas but also things like quesadillas http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Pro-Logic-P14P3-Pizza-14-inch/dp/B0000E2V3X Any opinions?
Memphis, TN ----> Chattanooga, TN

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Serious Eats did a comparison a few years ago. Looked at many different options including stone and CI. Don't remember which won. Later, the pizza steel was introduced and that supposedly beat them all. It's also great as a flattop.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    Options
    If you are just gonna build one pizza on it then put it in the egg it should work ok. If you are gonna cook multiple it may be hard to get them on and off with the peel because of those handles.
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I have both, and they each have their positives.  As @tjosborne said, the CI is pretty much designed for one pizza, but it makes a great pizza.  It can also be used as a griddle for pancakes, french toast, burgers, etc.  The stone works best for multiple pizzas.  I have also used both at once.  Preheat the stone, place the pizza in the CI pan on top and cook the pizza.  Next pizza goes right on the stone. 
    The CI pan is rated for 400 degrees, based on being 'pre seasoned'.  Be prepared fully season it and keep it seasoned. 
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Since Carolina Q brought it up.  Has anyone used a steel plate for pizzas? Is it better/worse than a stone?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I have steel and stone. The steel is slightly better, and as said above, it can also be used as a flat top.You can pick up a piece from a scrap dealer for about $15, or the baking steel is outstanding.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY