Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby Backs

Options
TNHokie69
TNHokie69 Posts: 11

My first attempt with baby back ribs today and they were quite chewy ! Smoked 3 large racks with a homemade Kansas City rub, apple wood for the smoke, along with drip pans containing a solution of 50-50 apple juice and water. I used the 2-1-1, well perhaps a little over, method at 250 degrees for the first step and 275 for the last two steps. Also put apple juice in the foil.......Any ideas why they would be chewy ?? Wonder if they were over cooked ? The more meaty ends were less chewy...... Thanks in advance for you comments.....

Comments

• Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    When you say chewy what do you mean? Do you like them falling off the bone.
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    My guess is a little undercooked.  I usually go at the temps you mentioned, but for five hours, usually 2-1-2.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    edited January 2015
    Options

And I'll add that the drip pans containing liquid are not necessary, add a steaming effect and actually probably add to your cook time.  The only way I would use a drip pan for ribs is to catch the drippings.  Fact is I don't use one at all. 

Oh, and welcome....just saw you are a new member!!

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• TNHokie69
    Options
    The wife and grand kids like them "falling off the bone" however a little texture is fine with me. I should have also added that I cooked these "indirect"........