Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How about NO PADDING?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Given how easily and quickly my padding dysfunctioned (see early message today), what would happen if I didn't replace it and cooked without it?

Comments

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Bud Jones,[p]You can definitely cook without the gaskets. You'll want to see how much air leakage there is after you scrape the gaskets from the top and bottom. Just take extra care when closing the Egg. No gaskets on the Egg is like having bone on bone, with no cartilage in between.[p]With that said I recommend that you replace the gaskets. I replace the gaskets when needed, which by the way is on to-do schedule right now.[p]Puj
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Bud Jones,
    You will/would see it difficult to hold low temps and to snuff out the fire when finished. After a few hard closings you might see a chip or two come off too. Gaskests are easy to replace too. [p]Tim

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Bud Jones,[p]You can certainly use your Egg without the seals. Temp control will act slightly different than when the seals were tight, tending to be a bit higher with the same vent settings. As Puj stated, be careful with closing the dome.[p]Spin

• Mr Beer
    Mr Beer Posts: 121
    Options
    Bud Jones,
    After my first high temp. cook with my large BGE I had the same problem. I managed to pry the seals apart and get the old seals back in place - they were still very sticky. I have used the egg for about 2 years after that with the old seals replaced without incident. I have since bought new gasket material but have not had to install it.