Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vitamix 750 vs 5200 vs BlendTec vs ...

Options
Finally breaking down and buying a good blender.  Looking for input from owners on what they like/dislike and what factors (other than price) I should consider.
Santa Paula, CA

Comments

• bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have a vitamix and that thing was worth every penny. We got it from costco online, it comes with way more accessories for the price that way. Never had or heard of the others.

Edit: I will add that it is easy to clean, powerful, with the different accessories you can do wet or dry goods. We make almund flower among other things with it. Smoothies come out great. Does everything we need it to do very well
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • bottomfeeder
    Options

Awhile back I talked to the owner of a Juice bar and was asking what was the best blender to get for home use. She said the Waring Commercial Xtream was the best. That is what I purchased and I have to say it is a very powerful blender, and a good company that has been around for a good while. I think I paid around $240 something for it.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I bought a Blendtech a few years ago. At that time, most of the reviews said they were a little more rugged than the Vitamixes.

It has proved reliable, and fairly versatile. Good smoothies, decent instant soups, good nut butters. Very loud. My wife says it makes a vacuum cleaner sound quiet. Don't know if it was how I used it, but I tried making cherry juice from fresh cherries. Did get some juice, but the thing is so powerful that most of what I ended up with was sort of a cherry jam. Just blew the cherries apart, and the mass set up from the cherries' own pectin. Also, sort of hard to get everything out of the standard container, and sometimes a pain to clean.

I'd have to say I'm a little disappointed. I suspect that some of the things I have tried would have been better done w. a good food processor. And often enough, its more convenient to just use a stick blender.
  • tisoypops
    tisoypops Posts: 267
    Options
    There are tons of comparisons of the two on YouTube. One day my family sat around and watched a bunch, as my BIL was trying to decide on one for my sis as a gift. After watching all the videos it was fairly split as to who thought which was better. He went with the vitamix because she liked the bar/stick deal it came with to get things from the sides down into the base for blending as you go. Blendtec says that's not necessary. However they can't keep in on the counter under the cabinet because it's so tall. Wouldn't have been the case with the blendtec. I like the blendtec better personally based on what we saw online. I believe Starbucks uses blendtec FWIW. If you're wanting juice you don't want either of these. You'll get a slush. If you want juice, you want a juicer. I have a pretty cheap one and get great fruit and veggie juices. Let us know which you go with. We're planning to get one soon too I think and at this point are leaning towad blendtec.
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • newegger169
    Options
    Vitamix hands down. The warranty is great, cleans itself basically.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    In terms of Vitamix vs. Blendtec, you aren't going to go wrong either way. Neither is "hands down" better than the other. The only reason I went with the Blendtec was the fact that it has presets for specific things. It also varies the speed during blending based on the consistency of the mix to maintain the desired result. The price was also a bit better with the Blendtec at the time due to the sale at Costco. The comparable Vitamix was $80 or so more at the time.
  • Lvnthedrm
    Lvnthedrm Posts: 153
    Options
    I have the blendtec. Makes great frozen mojitos...recipe from the blendetc website. I've had problems making Alton Brown's buff smoothie. Keep getting air pockets. May be user error. It fits nicely under the kitchen cabinets on the counter and for cleanup I just put in a little hot water and some dish liquid and press the smoothie button and let it run. Done!
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I love my Vitamix.
    NOLA
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    I used to be a buyer before I got into marketing. I always bought blend tech for our locations since that's what the chefs seemed to prefer. Also when you break them down they have better parts in them so they break less often.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • boochsr71
    boochsr71 Posts: 267
    Options
    I can't speak for the others, but I have a vitamix and love it

Booch- from Medina, Ohio

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @tisoypops‌ wrt cabinets, vitamix now has models that are shorter that are supposed to fit
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • zapped82
    Options
    We went with the Certified Reconditioned Vitamix, best deal out there (you can get them at Target Online now too). We ended up deciding on the NextGen but didn't go for the 750 model because we felt the programs didn't justify the added expense. The NextGen fits under a standard countertop plus a couple of other improvements. You most likely can't go wrong with any of them but that's what we ended up with.
  • mgoblue0484
    Options
    Just bought the Vitamix yesterday, from Costco. I've made several smoothies and balsamic vinegar dressing. Works fantastic. Looked at the Blendtec too, just liked the variable speed option on the Vitamix.

GO BLUE!

Fairfax, Va

• ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    Very happy with my Blendtec from Costco.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    +1 for Vitamix.  I opted not to get the digital / automated version.  I avoid glitzy electronics unless they are going to make a big difference (in this case they don't).  I went with VM over Blendtec for the same reason.  VM 5200 is tried and proven - bullletproof.

I use it mostly for sauces, humas, smoothies, salsas, and guacamole.  It takes a bit of practice to get the technique / texture right for the last two.  However, I'd put my guac and salsa up against anybody's and it is insanely quick.  Clean up is a dream.  Three drops of dish soap and max it out for 30 seconds.

I hadn't thought of it, but the VM is probably a great compliment to the egg (hopefully coming next month)  I'd guess there are a lot of sauces that would be well suited to the VM.

In case of fire, grab Vitamix first, then family photos.
    Phoenix 
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    I bought a refurb blendtec last year. I love it, jt is amazing how powerful it is. Get one!

The refurb from blendtec come with full 7 year warranty and mine looks brand new.

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Options
    I can only speak for vitamix. Bought it 5 years ago and love it.
    McKinney, TX
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Options
    Never used the VM however it was on the short list.  Ended up going with the Ninja from Costco and am extremely happy with it with the exception that now they offer a single beverage bottle attachment which would be great for both smoothies and dressings/marinades.

For the price, I am just ecstatic about the ninja.  Many more attachments than I ever use including a dough making setting.
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    I got the vitamix 750 just after thanksgiving and love my choice. Love the presets. Select and hit start.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    I love my blendtec. I did not expect to use the auto settings a lot but they work perfectly fine so this is mostly what I use. I went with Blendtec over Vitamix because it fits under my cabinets. To clean it, I just put a drop of soap in a about a cup of hot water then pulse it for 10-15 seconds...

Options
    Also, my refurb blendtec was $275 shipped. Far cheaper than new in either blender, and with full warranty.

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    My blendtec is 6 yrs old and counting. Neither of my 2 kids ever had a jar of baby food, all homemade.
    We do smoothies 3 times a week for b fast, I have the regular and twister jar.
    Seattle, WA
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    We have a vitamix and it was worth every penny! I can't say enough about it, that's how good it is
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    We got the vitamix 5200 and returned it and got the vitamix 6300. The 5200 doesn't have the pre set programs so you have to manually change the speeds which gets old. With the 6300 put the crap in and hit smoothie and like a minute later you have a smoothie. Also the 6300 is much quieter than the 5200 was.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Anyone see those black particles in the vitamix? I am close to getting one but some reviews talk about black particles
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Had a blendtec and it was very, very loud. It would dance across the counter tops it vibrated so much. Then it simply died. Bought a vm and is rock solid. Not nearly as loud and easy to clean. Bought both at costco.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    I have the Vitamix Pro 750 and I wouldn't be without one. Made homemade peanut butter just today. Try that in a lesser blender.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    SkinnyV said:

My blendtec is 6 yrs old and counting. Neither of my 2 kids ever had a jar of baby food, all homemade.
    We do smoothies 3 times a week for b fast, I have the regular and twister jar.

This is why I got the blendtec 2.5 years ago. Probably paid for itself with the first kid.
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options

Thanks all!!!  Great comments.  As mentioned, any of the above would probably be more than I need.  I ended up purchasing the Vitamix 750.  I like the idea of program settings, the tamper, and the quieter motor.  After using it some, I'll probably have a whole different set of reasons.  When buying a long term item, I've learned the hard way that it is better to spend a little more, and not have to buy it twice.  A quick run to the store in the morning to buy smoothie fixins, and I'll fire it up.  I haven't forgotten the egg though - Turbo Butt for dinner tomorrow.

Santa Paula, CA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Ok, I think we want a high end blender. I returned the Kitchenaid 11 cup food processor before I used it after reading poor reviews. I just got a mandolin, so I'm thinking a good blender would be more useful than a FP, also easier to clean.

Woot has this deal today, any opinions if this is a good deal?

http://home.woot.com/offers/blendtec-total-blender-classic-black-3

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker