Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri-Tip roasts

Options
BajaTom
BajaTom Posts: 1,269
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just picked up my cryovac package of Tri-Tip roasts from Sams. There are 6 to a package and I bought 2 packages. I will use my vaccum sealer to individually wrap them up. They had to special order them for me because they can't sell them here in Illinois. Nobody knows what to do with them. They were $4.20 a LB. I was paying $5.99 a LB at Trader Joes so I have improved my purchasing savvy. All you midwest eggers have got to try this great roast. It always comes out so moist and tender. I will be doing one tonight. Tom

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    BajaTom,
    I'm doing one tonight too, I picked up a couple at Costco this morning. I'm planning on slicing very thin and putting in a roll with provalone cheese. Then mix a packet of Liptons onion soup mix with a can of beef broth for the dipping juice. Should make a great french dip sandwich. -RP

• BajaTom
    Options
    AZRP,
    That sounds great. I think the tri-tip is my favorite cut of beef. It works as a steak or sliced for sandwiches. LOl,Tom

• Kinger
    Kinger Posts: 147
    Options
    BajaTom,[p]Glad you were able to find them. We see them here in Nashville at Costco but they are always precut into steak. I have been able to ask the folks in the meat department to sell me the cryovac packs and paid 3.99 just yesterday. The bag had 8 roasts in it. I cooked three last night and froze the rest. I don't have a vac sealer but guess I will have to look into it. How would you characterize the difference in vac sealed and frozen compared to simply plastic wrapped and placed in a gallon freezer bag?[p]JNK
  • BajaTom,[p]Sounds like a good deal. Somtimes I cut a pocket into a
    Tri Tip and stuff it with green chiles and cheese, such as
    sharp cheddar or jack pepper. Pretty good eating.
    Enjoy.

• BajaTom
    Options
    JNK,
    It takes freezer burn out of the equation. I haven't used freezer bags but they work as well. We use our vaccum sealer for most every left over food. It works great with cheese, vegetables, chili, & just about everything else. LOL, Tom

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    BajaTom,
    Just finished eating, my wife, daughter and I just about polished off a 2 lb 5 oz tri tip. -RP

• NCEgger
    Options
    BajaTom,[p]I was just introduced to the Tri-Tip and I love it. I hadn't heard or seen them in NC until recently. I talked to the butcher and he said he could get it for me any day. Just call early in the morning before they cut it up for other cuts.[p]It is a very tender and flavorful cut. The French Dip sandwiches sound great. I have cooked two, one direct and the other indirect. I like the indirect better as it wasn't as smokey.
  • BajaTom, Which Sam's ordered the tri-tip for you?
    I tried to get the Sam's in Des Plaines to order them, but they
    couldn't be bothered. Thanks

• BajaTom
    Options
    Jalopy Bob,
    The St Claire Sams in Illinois kindly ordered them with no problems. That Sams is just across the river from St louis. Their telephone number is 618-632-7878. Ask for rico or Tom. LOL, Tom