Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yet another reason the get a Rutand gasket! Cold weather Eggers check this out!

Options
2»

Comments

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options

it gets cold enough in Phoenix to get frost on the roof but I doubt the egg would ever freeze shut

• Martello_Penne
    Options

it gets cold enough in Phoenix to get frost on the roof but I doubt the egg would ever freeze shut

I was there for the two years ago at the end of Jan and it was miserably cold, and that's coming from a Bostonian. I was working a camp and literally had everything in my suitcase on.
    LBGE, CGW Swing Rack, Baking Steel. Mini-Max on the way. 

Boston MA
  • Humpy_Dumpty
    Options
    Anyone seen this? Rutland says their gaskets not food safe or for use on the egg

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/gasketsafety/rutlandgasketsafety.htm
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Anyone seen this? Rutland says their gaskets not food safe or for use on the egg http://www.nakedwhiz.com/gasketsafety/rutlandgasketsafety.htm
    I think many here have seen that. TNW's website is the missing manual for ceramic cookers.

That said, read in detail the letter from Rutland. It is recommended food not come in contact with the gasket. I don't plan to cook on my gasket... 
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • FlashkaBob
    Options
    -12C tonight (10F for you mericans) Haven't froze the large or small shut for the past couple of years

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    I have never had my medium freeze with the original gasket or the Rutland.  I do always keep it covered when not in use.  We don't get extremes of temperature (as in Saskatoon), but we have had temperatures below 10 F.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Haven't had trouble this winter until yesterday.  Did a six hour low and slow on Monday with a quick shut down at the end.  On Wednesday the dome opened easily, but the bottom vent was frozen closed.  MAPP gas solved the freezing problem. 

While the egg was warming up, I noticed moisture/water running down the inner wall of the dome.  Wonder if more problems occur right after a low and slow cook.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• blakeas
    blakeas Posts: 244
    Options
    I have had trouble all winter with the original gasket freezing and not opening when I want to cook.  I don't have it covered, Are people saying that a cover will stop the gasket from freezing?  Or do I just need to install a Rutland gasket?  I live in Cleveland, OH
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    blakeas said:

I have had trouble all winter with the original gasket freezing and not opening when I want to cook.  I don't have it covered, Are people saying that a cover will stop the gasket from freezing?  Or do I just need to install a Rutland gasket?  I live in Cleveland, OH

I won't sit here and guarantee a Rutland won't freeze as I have had mine freeze shut a time or two myself. OTOH the Rutland will not absorb moisture like the other gaskets and therefore there is less likelihood. Besides the Permatex used to adhere is pretty tetanus unlike the adhesive used for the peel and stick gaskets.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Pretty tetanus, huh? Gotta love auto correct. :)

Not sure about rutland not absorbing water. Mine gets soaking wet. Has never frozen shut though. I installed mine about halfway thru my first egging winter over five years ago.

I think it may be because the gasket is installed on the base only and tends not to freeze to the smooth ceramic above. Just a guess though.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    I do have a Rutland gasket and have noticed a reduction in the amount of lump charcoal I go through. I have never had issues with freezing, even with the original gasket, but this is probably due to the canopy (see photo).  Admittedly, I have had to replace the top once.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore