Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Recommendations for meat slicer and meat grinder?

Options
I'm thinking about getting these two.  Good reviews on Amazon.  Any thoughts?  Click on them to see them on Amazon.

MN. LBGE. Vikings. Beer. YETI 75.

Comments

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Slicer - I got the 615 for x-mas, used it to slice bacon once and I returned it because of uneven slices, and I knew it was not going to hold up for how much I plan on using one.  Friday, I got a entry level commercial slicer, and am in love with it. Let me know if you want more info.

Grinder, I inherited my grandfather's who had a meat market from the 50's - 1990. I think I put a whole calf in it and it would grind all but the head.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • EGG_Daddy
    EGG_Daddy Posts: 163
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Slicer - I got the 615 for x-mas, used it to slice bacon once and I returned it because of uneven slices, and I knew it was not going to hold up for how much I plan on using one.  Friday, I got a entry level commercial slicer, and am in love with it. Let me know if you want more info.

Grinder, I inherited my grandfather's who had a meat market from the 50's - 1990. I think I put a whole calf in it and it would grind all but the head.
    What's the make and model of your entry level commercial slicer?

MN. LBGE. Vikings. Beer. YETI 75.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I bought a 1949 Globe commercial model slicer from a craigslist ad. About $100 as I recall. I have owned cars that weighed less than this beast. Time to sell it as I virtually never use it. Like many things seen around here, seemed like a good idea. Think about how much you'll use it before you possibly waste your money.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    It depends on use. My 615 does everything I need as does my KitchenAid attachment for grinding. Definitely not heavy duty. ..but I don't use them every day.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    I got an advanco SL310.
    http://www.webstaurantstore.com/avantco-sl310-10-manual-gravity-feed-meat-slicer-1-4-hp/177SL310.html

There is a store near me that had them for $310, so I walked out with one.  Comes with a sharpener, and when I used it on Sunday on an eye roast, it was the best roast beef I ever had. Since I had it out, I sliced chicken breasts, some stick pepperoni, veggies....  anything and everything I could think of that was around, and I was very impressed. It was also able to shave meat a lot thinner than the 615. The size of the thing is about 2X the size of the 615, but about 50% the size of what you see at your local deli.
    Think deli quality and ability, but downsized with no plastic. 
    Large and MiniMax

• Sea2Ski
    Options
    Not trying to talk you out of the 615. I am sure it would have worked for me, but I plan on having and using this for decades. Why not be happy from day 1 if you can be.

Large and MiniMax

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Here's my Globe. Check CL if you're interested in something like this. And have room to leave it out. It is NOT portable!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Sorry...image

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    ^^^^ that thing is huge. Im sure it slices well though. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I have the same as Henapple, 615 and Kitchenaid grinder I use them once every couple months at the most and they work well for me.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I have the LEM #12, 3/4 horse and it's great.
    The STX sure has more bells and whistles. And has great reviews. ..
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SeahawksEGGHead
    Options
    I have a 615 as well.  I've used it to slice bacon and deli roast beef and it does the job.  I do plan to get the kitche aid meat grinder attachment one of these days, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.  Once I do, I'll fully empower my Charcuterie book.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    On the slicer, I have seen many past posts about people dumping the serrated blade on the 615 and getting much better results with the smooth blade.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    On the slicer, I have seen many past posts about people dumping the serrated blade on the 615 and getting much better results with the smooth blade.
    I have not tried my serrated blade yet, the smooth blade works great for me.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    My brother just bought the 615. It has great reviews on Amozon. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    edited January 2015
    Options

Got one of these for Christmas.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/avantco-sl309-9-manual-gravity-feed-meat-slicer-1-4-hp/177SL309.html

Great price... all metal, very sturdy - no plastic stuff - the ones with plastic guides are inconsistent when doing thin slices.  Only drawback is that it is max 5/8 thickness.  
  • jrj3rd
    jrj3rd Posts: 17
    Options
    Used a Kitchen Aid grinder attachment for the last year and then wife gave me a dedicated Weston #8 grinder (http://www.westonsupply.com/Weston-8-Heavy-Duty-Meat-Grinder-for-Home-Use-p/33-0201-w.htm) for Christmas.  Much better. Grinds meat much more consistently and quite a bit quicker. Highly recommend a good stand alone.  The one you are looking at is even bigger/stronger so should be a beast.  The #8 will grind pork as fast as you can shove it in with out bogging down.  Will say that it is a lousy stuffer though, has to much power and when you pull back the stuffer ram the vacuum crated pulls the meat right back out of the casing since you can not keep constant meat flow going.  Shopping for a crank cylinder stuffer now

1 LBGE - 1 KettlePizza - 1 seldom used Weber Summit