Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

YANG! (Yet Another New Guy)

Options

Been grilling (Weber gasser) for years and smoking (electric) for a couple, and recently became an Egger when my bro gifted me an LBGE for Christmas. To be honest, I initially suggested he hang on to that receipt, but after browsing these forums a bit and watching some videos, I decided to give it a try, and so glad I did. It's already opening my mind to new possibilities.

My first cook was a single rack of ribs that taught me to not be shy about piling on the lump. I figured I'd do a long first burn to get the gasket sealed and add the ribs towards the end, so I started about 5 hours before dinner time. The ribs went on a couple of hours before dinner, after the stink of melting plastic had subsided, along with a small chunk of hickory which I dropped between the PS and the side. By the time I'd figured that the temp had dropped due to all the lump burning out and not just because I opened it to add the ribs, it was close to dinnertime and I was cursing this archaic cooking device as I was forced to remove ribs, grate, and PS just to replenish the lump. Anyway, about halfway through dinner, which was fortunately just with family, we finally got to sample the ribs, and it was nice to finally see a smoke ring, since that's not something I get with the electric.

Assuming I figure out how to upload the pictures correctly, they'll show my first (paltry) gift to the lump gods, and the eventual result.imageimage

Since that first time, the egg's managed to cheer me up a bit with a decent short rib and NY strip cook, as well as my first ever attempt to at spatched chicken, which my guests loved (despite the skin not being very crisp). I've been a bit hesitant to push the egg up to really high temps (notice the lack of sear on the strip), but that'll change soon. Oh, and the leftover short rib made for a great breakfast sandwich on some Costco pretzel buns.imageimage

imageI enjoy seeing everyone else's photos, so I'll probably post a bit more of those than really necessary. This one is of a 7.5lb packer I had to bend to fit into my tiny Smokin-It electric smoker, just because I'm so looking forward to trying a big boy brisket soon.image

My first major addition will likely be one of those adjustable rigs, as soon as I figure out how to make sense of that ceramic grill store site, and I'm already eying a stoker for eventual purchase, once I've mastered the basics.

Must say I'm really impressed with the level of activity and helpfulness on here - this forum was definitely a factor in deciding to give egging a try, and while I'm pretty much just soaking up info and bookmarking posts, I look forward to eventually contributing as well.

your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.” Anthony Bourdain, Kitchen Confidential

LBGE in SATX

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Welcome! We love pics so you will fit right in.

Those breakfast sandwiches look great! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    @greenevy - those are some nice cooks you started out with. If you're like the rest of us, you'll only continue to get more hooked on the egg. Welcome to forum and keep the pictures coming.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Great first post....pics and all.  Welcome.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options

Ah, the virginal egg. Nothing like her. And never to be the same.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options
    Welcome. So long creamy white color....
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,514
    Options
    @greenenvy-Hell of gift from your brother.  Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Strong start right there-and within reason you cannot load too much lump for your cooks.  At least to the top of the fire box for shot cooks and about to the top of the fire ring for extended duration low&slows.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • mshump
    mshump Posts: 212
    Options
    Welcome and enjoy !
    Danville, Il
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Welcome, looks great so far, i normally always fill the lump to the almost top of the fire ring. Which when the egg is empty a 10lb bag of Ozark Oak fits perfectly. As far as the ceramic grill store goes just give Tom @TJVa call and explain what you are wanting to accomplish and he will be more than happy to guide you through the process. It is actually much easier than you think. Enjoy and post lots of pics!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    That rib looks phenomenal!

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,735
    Options
    Welcome and the food looks fantastic.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,733
    Options

You hit the ground running for sure! Welcome aboard. As suggested above, call Tom at CGS and you'll get all the help you need. He is not known for trying to upsell his products or conning you into buying stuff you don't need. The CGS site can be overwhelming at first because of al the options and possibilities for cooking. The AR is a terrific accessory .

Where are you located? If San Antonio (I think that's what your sig says), hop on over to Salado in March.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Welcome! Great bunch of Q pics. Unloaded both barrels like you've always been here with the pics and narrative. =D>
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Welcome
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Welcome aboard.  Looks like you've got plenty of experience and hit the ground running.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    Welcome looking forward to see more of your cooks
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Welcome!! Very nice pictures but I can't make out what type of Egg that is in your last picture LOL.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Welcome. .the brand of lump you use means everything. Post that. ...lols jk broski. Welcome
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    henapple said:
    Welcome. .the brand of lump you use means everything. Post that. ...lols jk broski. Welcome
    @henapple is a Royal Oak lover.  =))

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Welcome, sure looks like some good cooks there.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Yep, pictures are the coin of the realm ... thanks for posting and welcome to the forum.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Welcome to the forum!

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Welcome to the group. I think you'll like the AR when you get one.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Welcome.Great fist cook. That egg looked so clean and white. I found the hardest thing about the egg was trusting your skills and lifting and looking. You will get over that fast. Be the egg
  • johnkitchens
    Options
     Be the egg
    I like that!

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Welcome to the lifestyle! The egg is a game changer. You owe your brother big time!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    There are 2 systems that are really good. The Adjustable Rig you've seen from CGS or the 2 Tier Swing Rack from www.ceramicgrillworks.com. Both quality products and good people behind them. Remember to monitor your Kool-Aid intake. Have fun!
    Flint, Michigan
  • greenenvy
    Options

Heck of a welcome - thanks for all the comments and encouragement!

@lousubcap - Yeah, he really managed to surprise me this year when two guys showed up on Christmas eve rolling some big green thing on wheels. (Coincidentally, his NY resolution is to try Atkins) I'll definitely be piling on the lump from now on, since whatever's left just gets used later.

@Brisket_Fanatic - I might just have to give them a call. From what I read here, I'm leaning towards the package with the oval stone and grid, mainly for easier access for adding wood once I've gotten the lump going.

@caliking - Yup, I'm in San Antonio. Will definitely try to attend if I can.

@Tinyfish - Sometimes the flash washes out the green.

@henapple - Good advice. I dumped out all the Ozarka, or whatever that was, and replaced it with some quality Kingsford quick light.

@Fred19Flintstone - Will check out the 2 Tier setup and try to compare, thanks.

I'm itching to get a brisket or butt going to see how I manage a long and slow cook in this thing. Noticed that many on here seem to go a bit higher on the temps, which has never been an option for me before since my electric only went up to about 250. I would usually do briskets around 225 or so and run 1.5-2 hrs/lb. so I might just give the higher temps a try. I've already bookmarked a few chili recipes just in case.

Also on my short list is learning to lollipop drumettes. Might try to toss some of those on with my usual Superbowl Kalbi (not exactly traditional game fare, but guests have come to expect them).

Added a wok to my shopping list after seeing some of the recent cooks on here. New brisket blade should arrive today in preparation for the bigger cuts I'll be cooking.

We'll see how long I can keep hiding all this stuff in the kitchen before the wife notices...

your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.” Anthony Bourdain, Kitchen Confidential

LBGE in SATX

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Your thread title reminds me what they used to call me here at work for 10 years. F.N.G. - F'ing New Guy.
    Flint, Michigan
  • greenenvy
    Options

Checked out the 2-Tier but decided to order the AR instead, mainly because the 2-Tier looked like something I could overload on top and potentially break.

After studying the pics for a while, finally figured the AR Customer Combo was the one I wanted, with the 3-legged spider and oval grid. Looks like the spider can support a wok, and I think the AR will elevate the grid enough to get some crisp on a chicken. Still a bit counterintuitive for me to go further from the flames for crispier skin, but that seems to be the consensus.

Now I'm shopping woks. Ditched my CI Lodge wok idea after reading some posts on here about heat retention, and likely going to order a hammered carbon steel one from the wok shop.

LBGE in SATX

• otisman
    Options
    I am also a newbie to this site. I've had my Large BGE for about a year and a half and love it. Keep on smokin, boys!