Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DO Madness

Options
I'm looking at DO's and am at a qwandry.. Footed or not? Footed will help prevent burning and gives a more even cook.. ALSO wrestling with size...I want to do big pots of chili and bean soup..10 qt. minimum imo..2 chickens in a 10 qt.?

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

Comments

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    The footed DO is a camp oven. The feet are so you can place it right in the coals and still have space under the oven. If you want it to use on the egg I would go with a standard DO.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    Options
    I have one with feet (bought a set of CI Cookware, and that's how the DO came)

I'd much prefer to have one with no feet if I could. It's easy to use something to raise it up if need be. It's impossible to get rid of the feet and they get in the way or catch on things frequently.
    South SLO County
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    Footless here.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options

7 Qt 

No Feet on a Large
    New Albany, Ohio 

• AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    Hmm thinking I may need to go CI grate to hold a 10 qt.heavy.

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    Your talking yourself into spending money!  $-)
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    Well figure 16# liquid/ contents and 25 # DO 40# +-...Think the stainless OEM will bow.
    Damnit...this hobby is a money sucking egg..

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Bingo!!!
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    But it's worth it :D
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    have both styles and the feet on the camp oven doesnt bother me. the cover on the camp oven can be used as a griddle where my no foot dutch can not be used that way
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Lodge has a 9 qt without the feet:

Amazon:

I think you would be fine on the SS grid with this.  If you are cooking indirect with the plate setter legs up + grid there is really no reason at all for the feet.  If you want to set it directly on the plate setter or stone then it is good to have some space, but like others said it is easy enough to add spacers.  

FWIW a 7ish qt dutch oven will make a ton of chili.  I only have a 5 qt and if I fill it to the brim I would guess it makes 20 servings of chili. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    SoCalWJS said:

I have one with feet (bought a set of CI Cookware, and that's how the DO came)

I'd much prefer to have one with no feet if I could. It's easy to use something to raise it up if need be. It's impossible to get rid of the feet and they get in the way or catch on things frequently.
    Cut them off if you don't want the feet. People cut skillet handles off all the time. Hacksaw followed by grinder or file should do it.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Son bought me a 5 qt Lodge DO for Christmas (he rocks). And I use the lid for cornbread etc. It has been the prefect size. I made enough chili to serve 10 people and had enough for seconds and leftovers.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    I have a 7qt with no feet I bought at wally-world and it has cooked way more food than our dinner party of 12 could eat. I also have the 5qt double that @NPHuskerFL stated you can use the lid for a skillet and love it as it fits perfect on the small egg as well.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe