Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

She's an ugly one for sure!

Options
stv8r
stv8r Posts: 1,127
Was looking for something to try my Christmas present (a DigiQ) out on andfound a pork picnic shoulder on sale at the grocery store.  Never made one of these before but was willing to try.  I crosshatched the pig skin left on about half of it and rubbed with coarse dizzy dust.  Fired up the egg after getting all hooked up and set to 225f.  I was looking for 235f but figured I'd stop short then bump up.  Full load of Royal Oak lump with a few pieces of apple wood.  Things fired up nicely, and the fan kicked in, bringing my temps up rapidly, overshooting to 265f. I throttled the daisy wheel down to a crack, and the fan damper to one third.  A short while later, 235f on the dot.  Stayed there too all day!  It was only a 4.5 lb picnic but it took quite a while(10 hours).  Stalled at 160f even dropping to 155f for a while.  A few hours later, I finally started climbing again, finally pulling it off at 192f internal, and foiling/towel for about 20mins.  cut off squares of skin and pulled the rest.  Was very impressed for such a cheap cut of meat.  Next time I may inject, for a bit more juiciness, but I was happy overall. Tried the dead guy sauce recipe (daughter whined about the vinegar smell in the house lol)  I like it, she didn't, opting to go with some Famous Dave's sauce instead. 

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Any landing you can walk away from is a winner,  Nice cook!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Cool toy. I am still debating if I want one or not...

Options
    Nice cook

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Congrats on the DigiQ. I highly recommend the magnetic flex mount especially since you do not have the egg mate tables.