Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Considering adding a MiniMax

Options
2»

Comments

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options

I am a believer in the idea that one can never have enough ceramic grills!  I am partial to the Big Green Egg, but the KJ Jr,, if it can be had for $349 would make a nice addition

BUT, it was worth it to spend $704 out the door for the MiniMax, albeit the wait and 'estimated' delivery date drama was frustrating.  BGE needs to market a little better the next time it rolls out new products.  They are 0-2(XXL and MM) in this department.  OR, maybe is a psychological process where they want to create some sort of urgency for the product...

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options

I am a believer in the idea that one can never have enough ceramic grills!  I am partial to the Big Green Egg, but the KJ Jr,, if it can be had for $349 would make a nice addition

BUT, it was worth it to spend $704 out the door for the MiniMax, albeit the wait and 'estimated' delivery date drama was frustrating.  BGE needs to market a little better the next time it rolls out new products.  They are 0-2(XXL and MM) in this department.  OR, maybe is a psychological process where they want to create some sort of urgency for the product...

are you kidding me? 704? I hope you got flowers the next day cuz you earned them. I am glad you are satisfied with the MM, but you were ravaged.
  • westernbbq
    Options

well, it was $649 + tax out the door.  I guess I could have ordered it from an area closer to where they are made, paid $599 for it and then paid $100 to have it shipped out west because I checked into that as well.

I wanted it, I waited for it and I can afford it, and I got it.  and, if someone else got it for $50 to $100 less, good for them, I could give  a rat's @ss about it.  there just isn't a way to get a minimax in my area for less than $704 out the door without stealing one. period. 

• Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    @westernbbq if you want it and you can afford it why not. I know the feeling about high prices, where I live in Ontario Canada the prices are high too .
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    People here routinely drop a cool hundo on meat every weekend. I'm guessing an extra hundred or two isn't all that big a deal to your average MM purchaser. Life is good!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    Options
    Value is in the eye of the beholder. One man's ceiling is another man's floor. Or loosely translated; I only care about how MY money is spent...
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options

Whyy!!!...why?

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I have a XL and a Med and for me it's perfect. If they made the MiniMax at the time I would have bought that instead of the of the Medium. It's a great combo. Google luck.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    Options
    I've got all sizes except xxl and love them all and the mini max is nice but nothing special.If you need a grill that size and portable then its the way to go.That being said its nothing wrong with the KJ Jr.if that size fits your needs.My son has a small outdoor space and has a Jr.and it fits his needs and he loves it.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I just find it interesting that we are all part of a group that has spent probably $1k on grills, another several hundred on accessories (at least), and who knows how many thousands on meat, but we're going to continually, everyday have forum discussions about the difference in a couple hundred bucks between two grills.  It's just humorous, that's it.  Carry on.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    On Certain topics, we **** and moan like women. Lump/MM/Joe Jr

I think it's cute. Lol
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    Options
    YEMTrey said:

I just find it interesting that we are all part of a group that has spent probably $1k on grills, another several hundred on accessories (at least), and who knows how many thousands on meat, but we're going to continually, everyday have forum discussions about the difference in a couple hundred bucks between two grills.  It's just humorous, that's it.  Carry on.

Your right I'm not concerned about a couple hundred bucks that's why I have all green grills but for some it's a issue.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    I'm too new to the BGE to know if ultimately I'm a one or multi-egg owner.  So, please don't take this as a slam on anyone's position ... I don't have a position yet.  But, when reading some of the posts about owning multiple eggs, I'm reminded of a saying amongst gun owners; "Beware the man with only one gun, because he really knows how to shoot it."

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I for one love my minimax. I couldn't give a crap who thinks I overpaid for it. I love it and will use it for years. B-)
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    :-h
    MM owners come on over and have a seat. Us mini owners have heard this overpaid thing for a while now. Welcome to the club.
    Seattle, WA
  • westernbbq
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    I for one love my minimax. I couldn't give a crap who thinks I overpaid for it. I love it and will use it for years. B-)

that's the  best way to say it brotha!

Look, I've got maybe $3K tied up in grills and equipment but here's the thing: I enjoy creating awesome new things on it- and it's not ego strokes.  it's just that when I go to thanksgiving and the turkeys I make on the BGE are raved about by everyone, well, it's gratifying.  The MiniMax has opened up some exciting new possibilities for me and honestly, the BGE and my dealer got my money but it became personal with me- the wait, the delays, etc., I wasn't about to give up and let my own frustration win, no matter how much it was going to cost.

Egg On Brethren!  I love the support group here, the ideas and the occasional laughs we share!

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Jeremiah said:

that's the  best way to say it brotha!

Look, I've got maybe $3K tied up in grills and equipment but here's the thing: I enjoy creating awesome new things on it- and it's not ego strokes.  it's just that when I go to thanksgiving and the turkeys I make on the BGE are raved about by everyone, well, it's gratifying.  The MiniMax has opened up some exciting new possibilities for me and honestly, the BGE and my dealer got my money but it became personal with me- the wait, the delays, etc., I wasn't about to give up and let my own frustration win, no matter how much it was going to cost.

Egg On Brethren!  I love the support group here, the ideas and the occasional laughs we share!

@westernbbq‌, my apologies. I had a brain fart. I was under the impression that they were 100 cheaper and I was wrong. I was never passing judgement on you anyway. I thought maybe an unscrupulous vendor had taken advantage of you. As I said before, I was wrong, what you paid is about right. Enjoy your nice MM for years to come. It is a great size for week night cooking and for mobility, no doubt.