Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

beer but chicken

Options
Jerome Poole
Jerome Poole Posts: 44
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has any one fixed what I heard some one call Beer Butt chicken? What temperature do you cook it at and what should the meat temperature get to? Bought a couple of holders today from Bass Pro Shop and sure want to try these out. Anybody got any suggestions? Let me know.
Thanks a lot. Jerome

Comments

• BabyBoomBBQ
    Options
    Jerome,[p]I do these all of the time. In fact, I am about to do a 4.5 lb bird today. You want the meat to get to about 165 - 170 in the breast. Cooking temps can be annywhere from 250 to 350. At 250, a 5 pouder will take up to 3 hours. At 350, I've had them hit temperature in just under an hour. Don't go below 250 grid temperature. You don't want that thing to take too long. Search the archives for more details.[p]From the USDA site:[p]"What is "Safe"?[p]Poultry
    Poultry will generally reach a safe temperature (160 °F) before it is "done." At 160 °F, pathogenic bacteria have been destroyed, but poultry will still be pink and raw looking near the bone, and the juices will be pink and/or cloudy. By 170 °F for white meat and 180 °F for dark meat, the flesh of poultry will no longer be pink and the juices will be clear. With whole chickens and turkeys, the joints will move easily."

[ul][li]USDA Web Site[/ul]
  • Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    Jerome,[p]Beer Butt Chicken is one the household standards at our house. The one tip I would recomend is coating that bird with Cajun Spices/Seasoning. We've tried other rubs on it but to a person we have yet to find anything that we prefer on a Beer Butt Chicken.[p]Keep em Smokin,
    Jethro

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options
    6b89e785.jpg
    <p />Jerome,
    375 direct works for me. i cook for an internal just under 165 in the breast, the legs are closer to the fire and will be done at this point.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggin in Peoria
    Options
    Jerome,
    I've done low and slow (250) and 350 as well. both turned out great cooked to standard chicken "doneness". Definitely separate skin from bird and apply rub underneath.[p]Give 'er a try and see. I use a real beer can but the holders always look tempting. Guess I'm a purist, hahaa.