Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yeti Cooler Alternative?

Options
13»

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    PELICANS KEEP BEERS COLDER THAN YETIS!!!!
    Options
    engal makes a high grade like the yeti but also makes a cooler/ drybox thats reasonably priced. i use the baitcooler made from the cooler/ drybox. full gasket sealed. i put a frozen 12 ounce water bottle and change it out daily on the weekends. just dont get the 13, it wont fit a standard beer bottle standing, i only allow cans on the boat so that doesnt bother me
    I have that Engle Dry box and I use it ALOT more than the Pelican, mostly as a cambro.  It's light and that gasket makes all the difference in the world.  Also, I think I paid $40 for it on woot!
    you should do an ice test between the two, i couldnt find one online. i use the engal cooler for keeping smelt alive, they seem to hold up well at temps between 32 and 40, any warmer and i have die off with the pricey little bait fish. that cooler dry box works well enough with minimal effort even with me pumping warmer air in though the aerator. the guys netting elvers all use yetis though, but they are netting a years pay in a day, they want every penny
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Sometimes you tickle the **** out of me with you antics! That's why I love you brother.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    I used a cuss word above and it edited its self.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    SGH said:
    I used a cuss word above and it edited its self.
    you should be able to flag the moderator for that
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Options
    Been busy, wanted to add one final point... If price were everything, we'd all drive Kia Rios and cook spam on Hibachis. But price isn't everything. and life is too short. I love my Yetis and I they support my fat ass when I stand on them.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    WE have both, a Yeti Roadie 20 and Pelican 45QT.  Both do what they advertise to do.  I am pleased with both.  If I buy another it will be a Pelican.  Why the Pelican.....because the latch system is better and the warranty is better.  Why did I buy a Roadie 20, cause I got a really good deal that I could not pass up.
    BTW be aware they are heavy when filled. 
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,535
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Photo Egg said:
    That is a fantastic price…You might be better off waiting for Costco to stop selling them and list it local for $200-$250. lol
    Have you been spying on me? It was Costco's end of summer clearance, I just listed it for $225 few days ago!  Now's not a good time to sell coolers though, unless someone puts it on Santa's list.
    Good point. We used to put our beer in a cooler in the winter to stop it from freezing. Oh, the great white north...
    When July comes around it will sell.

sold for firm list price!
    canuckland
  • Ewelch04
    Options
    I have 2 yetis and an Engel. I prefer my Engel the best.
    Bluffton, SC LBGE, SBGE, Thermapen
  • SGH
    edited January 2015
    Options
    On a serious note. When it comes to high end coolers, its a lot like comparing high end smokers. There are a lot of great high end coolers out there but I give credit where credit is due. Yeti made the big money high end cooler cool to have just like Jambo made the 12,000 pit cool to have. However there are several out there now that will more than give the Yeti and Jambo a run for their money. Picking between one of the many high end coolers should come down to which one that you like the best. Performance and durability will be just about equal. I have a Pelican and it more than serves my needs. I know folks that have Yeti, Ice Hole, Engel, K2, Igloo Yukon, Brute, Grizzly etc, etc. They all are more than adequate for any reasonable task. So when looking for a high end cooler or smoker, just pick the one that has the features that you like because you really can't go wrong with any of them. They will all exceed the average users needs by a considerable margin.

Status- Standing by.

• AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    Google sodium fishing the.have a knockoff that's 1/2 the price

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• tz666
    tz666 Posts: 404
    Options
    I have a yeti 65qt and a mammoth 105qt and I love the yeti adn have only used the mammoth once(because of size). I got the mammoth on woot.com for 225 shipped so I gave it a try. It doesnt seem as nice as the yeti but every bit as insulated. Like I tell all my buddies, You dont need a yeti to keep your beer cold on the patio while you watch football. Any cooler with ice is good for that, we fish and camp and that is what ours are for. In may we will have our camper in the Keys for 2+weeks and its nice to put a drinks and a couple bags of ice in the yeti and not have to worry about it for days at a time. You dont want your drinks in the camper and people going in and out letting the ac out. Also we do a lot of fishing and on an overnight tuna trip keeping ice in a Louisiana summer a nice cooler helps a lot. On camping trips to the coast for a multiple days I can fill that mammoth up with fish and ice and not have to clean them immediately. Expensive coolers do have their place but just to tailgate for a game and keep beer cold for 5 or 6 hours they are more of a fashion statement. Im okay with that too.

• tz666
    tz666 Posts: 404
    Options

Pelicans are huge but I will say that with the vent you dont ever have the problem of the lid pulling a vacuum like on a yeti. I hate it when my yeti lid gets a suction on it and I have to crack the drain and get water everywhere to open it. 

• yogi84
    yogi84 Posts: 189
    Options
    Brute keeps beer cooler than both..... and american made....
  • jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I consider the Yeti (and similar coolers) like the BGE.  They are very good products, but it is debatable if they are worth the price, it just depends on the person's personal preference.  I love my BGE, but don't think the Yeti is worth the money for me.

Yeti - pretty much indestructible, over time, you could end up saving money instead of buying new igloo coolers every several years over the life on one Yeti Cooler.

As far as insulating and ice saving - there are very few cases people actually benefit from it because most people open and close their coolers so often it negates the benefit.

***Not sure why the mad face is on my post - need to get that changed
    Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    There is a huge advantage of the yeti if you fish alot and have to use dry ice to keep the fish before cleaning. Try dry ice in a igloo and it will crack.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • AintEZbeingme
    Options
    Wife surprised me w/ an ORCA 26qt cooler. Have been looking at the new types, but the price tag brought me back to reality on dropping that much for an ice chest . Anyway tried this weekend - filled her w/ beer and ice and a few wife fruit drinks(NA). Beer all gone and some ice remained.( But thats how my old cooler looks after every weekend). Jury still out. Will try again this weekend.
    STAY THIRSTY MY FRIENDS!
    GIVE ME OYSTERS AND BEER FOR DINNER EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR
     & I'LL FEEL FINE!

SW Georgia :  LARGE & MINI BGE

• Bran
    Bran Posts: 10
    Options
    I'm also a big fan of the Pelican. I looked for a while at comparisons on Yeti, Engall, and Pelican before choosing them. Also made in USA, and, like some of you have said, I've had a pile of Igloo coolers over the years. Wish I could have bought the Pelican years ago.
  • BKD
    BKD Posts: 10
    Options
    We love are Yeti`s, 2 - 45`s and a Hopper, very happy with them. We also use the ARB cooler when traveling, it runs off 12v or 110V, like a small fridge we can pull from the vehicle and put in motel room.

1 XL BGE

2 Med BGE

1 Mini Max

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited January 2015
    Options
    There is a huge advantage of the yeti if you fish alot and have to use dry ice to keep the fish before cleaning. Try dry ice in a igloo and it will crack.
    Is this hot…

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Huh what did she put in with it? I use it when fishing.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I drink all my beer before it has a chance to get warm, regardless of cooler.  Y'all need to drink faster! lol.  =))
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Not sure the normal amount of gasses given off would do that in a dry cooler over time or if there was some water in the cooler? Like a Champaign cork. Some of these bottles really pop.
    Years ago I worked for a camera store in a shopping mall. We would get photo test strips shipped to us packed with dry ice pellets. We would sprinkle them a cup at a time into the large water fountain in the Mall. It would bubble and give off Gasses/smoke.
    One day a bored coworker quickly poured the entire box into the fountain. It bubbles so much and displaced so much water it was pouring over the sides and was flowing down the hall. lol

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Sameydog
    Sameydog Posts: 154
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    The five day igloos are awesome. 
    I have one of the first Coleman ones, bought it when they first started selling them, and it still works great. I had to repair the hinges (SS screws are still original) but that's it. And yep...I can stand, or sit on it, in the boat. I'm pretty hard on a cooler, plus Florida heat and saltwater, but it still does a good job.  

I have heard the new 5 day coolers aren't as sturdy as the older ones.

That said I'd like to get a Yeti "type" cooler when I can afford one.

Bill
    From the deep south...land of saltwater fish...west central Florida
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    I know I'm late to this discussion but the alternative is you buy a cooler that keeps things cold for 1/2 as long but pay 1/16th the price.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    what about a group buy?

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI