Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

hot date leads to heartburn

Options
Legume
Legume Posts: 14,627
Finally back on the egg tonight after a few weeks. It was great just to light the fire after a false start and change of plans last night.

Between yesterday's false start and what I had on hand today, it made for a strange menu built on a few recent ideas from the forum.

Maple bacon wrapped dates stuffed with blue cheese and Marcona almonds - these were really good and REALLY rich.

French onion bombs - whole sweet onions cooked in foil with a divot carved and filled with beef better than bouillon, butter, generous coating of raising the steaks. Tasted like soup - I soaked up the juice with some French bread.

Poblano peppers stuffed with a mixture of shredded chicken, chopped & sautéed onion/poblano/jalapeño, coconut/lime rice, red quinoa, corn, shredded Gruyere and Swiss cheeses and a bunch of spices that included hatch and jalapeño chile powders and of course cumin.

For these, I played around with two methods of stuffing and closing them up. Neither method was ideal, the top-filled method lets you flip the pepper as you cook it but it eventually pushes the top off. The boat method works great for keeping the stuffing in, but you can't flip. I cooked these 375 raised direct, I think temp and height was right but these would've been easier indirect then boat would've worked better.

So, dates+bacon+bluecheese+onion+grilled poblano rellenos=heartburn, but it's a good burn.

imageimageimageimageimage

Comments