Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rockwood Conundrum

Options
2»

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    I tried to reply to sticharcoal about the CA shipping issue but it got sent out for "approval". I think that's why this thread got hosed, because his company makes/sells the stuff.

the "approval" thing happens when too many quotes accumulate or get carried forward. Try it again without any luggage and I bet it works for you.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    stlcharcoal said:

Prop 65 = Special labeling for anything that emits carbon monoxide (e.g. anything that you burn.)  We would have to keep an environmental attorney on retainer out there and produce special bags to keep in inventory just for CA.  Sorry, but no thanks.

We already have the huge CPSC mandated label on both sides warning about the dangers of carbon monoxide.  Not good enough for CA though.....gotta have another one somewhere "conspicuous" on the bag quoting Prop 65. 

I wish we had the power like Starbucks to thumb our nose at law, but we cannot take the risk.  I don't remember what gas(es) their coffee emits, but they refused to put the label on their cups and are already getting sued.  We'll take the road of S&W and Ruger.......just give up the market to someone else who wants to take on the risk. 

Thanks for the explanation of why I can't buy Rockwood in CA.  Makes perfect sense to me.
    I hate the way CA over-regulates everything and anything, but I love my Sierra mountains.
    I was born and raised in CA, and with the exception of some of my time in the USAF, I have always lived here and I expect to die here.  I love the state, I just hate our state government.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• RiverDoc
    RiverDoc Posts: 572
    Options
    @Jeepster47‌ I'm with you. We returned from a cruise and I was out of RW so I cooked some chicken with another brand and my wife said" this taste different I don't like it as well." Without saying what I did I picked up some RW and tried a redo with RW, said she was not sure what I changed but this batch was great... A true blind taste test so I'm hooked as well, good luck!
    -Todd
    Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE
  • Brimo
    Brimo Posts: 53
    Options
    Hey Jeepster47, Is the Dave's Ace you're buying Rockwood at here in central IL?
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Reading this info from @stlcharcoal‌ makes me glad I'm NOT in California!!! I can get my Rockwood and Ozark Oak from my somewhat local Ace Hardware.

Most of the other dealers have BGE brand stacked to the ceiling. They sometimes run killer sales, but I'll stick to my RW and OO.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Brimo said:
    Hey Jeepster47, Is the Dave's Ace you're buying Rockwood at here in central IL?
    @Brimo ... central IL is a dead zone for any of the higher rated lump brands.  From my zip code, the closest store with RW is 92 miles east. There are a number of them down around St Louis ... go figure.  Dave's is in Wisconsin just south of Madison. I bought from him 'cuz we went right past his store on our last trip.

Look up the Rockwood site and use the "Where to Buy" link to find the closest store to you.

Let me give a plug for Dave's Ace Hardware.  If you're near there, go visit.  They are in a little town 20 or so miles south of Madison.  Their sign should say "Dave's BBQ Supply."  Every piece of BGE equipment you can imagine ... including an XXL egg fully decked out ... on sale for $4K.  BGE and Challenger tables.  Kick Ash Baskets ... had about 20 larges and a good number of the XL size.  It was the middle of winter and they had a BBQ sauce table set up for tasting.  Where else can you buy lump charcoal and a snow shovel?  We bought both. 

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Brimo
    Brimo Posts: 53
    Options
    Thanks Jeepster, I have a son-in-law who travels the St. Louis area with his job once in a while. Might have to give him a mission.