Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT artisan bacon

Options
grege345
grege345 Posts: 3,515
While I was off last week I found myself by a local butcher. Bought some sausage and other misc. the star of course was the bacon. Honey glazed artisan bacon. Simply unbelievable! Gotta love the local shops. Cooked the whole pound on my griddle. image
Neighbors wakin up to bacon in the air
LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I want that griddle
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I read a good short article by a guy named Robert Moss about how hard it was to make good Hoppin' John. A big part of the problem is that modern bacon bears little relation to the old country bacon. When I can, I drive 35 miles to a guy who cures and smokes bacon and rashers. Its worth the trouble.
  • grege345
    Options
    Ya @chubbs it has been a great addition to the outdoor cooking arsenal. Great for finishing off steaks with the proper sear. So ez to clean up too. Probably doing some sliders this afternoon.

• grege345
    Options
    @gdenby agreed. Soo much better than commercial bacon. Doesn't splatter. Nice and thick and doesn't curl up in the fettle position. Pork belly isn't very hard to find but it sure is expensive. I've done it a few time but without a slicer it isn't the easiest thing to do at home. I prefer home cured Canadian bacon. Easy and delicious not to mention cheaper

• grege345
    Options
    More griddle goodness. Sliders cooked in some bacon fat reserved from this morninimage