Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blackened Steak

Options
Wazoo
Wazoo Posts: 150
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Finally got a cast-iron griddle the other day. Want to do a blackened/seared steak on this -- anyone have any tips. Also with other meats -- chicken, fish, etc.[p]Thanks,[p]Waz

Comments

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Wazoo, I always use Chef Paul Prudhommes Magic Seasoning Blacken for chicken. It takes lots of butter and a cast iron skillet

• RayS
    RayS Posts: 114
    Options
    Wazoo,[p]Here's a blend I use to blacken fish in a pan and chicken on the grill. I think its the paprika that causes the blakening effect. [p]2 tbs. paprika (I use sweet hungarian)
    1/4 tsp. Salt
    1/2 tsp. black pepper
    1/2 to 1 tsp. cayenne [p]Mix together and apply to meat. Let sit for at least 1 hour if you can before cooking.[p]RayS

• BabyBoomBBQ
    Options
    Wazoo,[p]Here's the Blackening rub I use for my Blackened Tri Tip. Give it a try. You will not be sorry. I also use infused oil. See below.[p]Google Blackened Tri Tip for complete details. My server is having issues right now (brush fire in the area), so you should look at the "cached" results.[p]CasaBP Blackening Rub[p]2 1/2 TBS Paprika
    1 3/4 TBS Kosher Salt
    1 TBS Fresh Ground black pepper
    2 TBS Garlic Powder
    1 TBS Onion powder
    1 1/4 TBS Dried Oregano
    1 TBS Dried Thyme
    1 tsp Cayenne pepper[p]Tri Tip Marinade[p]1/4 Cup Olive oil
    4 - 6 cloves garlic, crushed
    1 Oz. Jack Daniels
    1/4 tsp Balsamic Vinegar
    1/8 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
    1/2 tsp Honey[p][p]