Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First cook on the Christmas Present - LBGE

Options
Merry Christmas everyone! (I know, a day late)

Several of you saw my post about the table I built and welcomed me already, thank you! I finally got to fire up the egg yesterday morning to cook a ham and mac and cheese for Christmas. I was like a little 5 year old getting the best present ever!
I got a lot of eggcessories that were surprises to me (in laws got me a looftlighter!). Got some Dizzy Pig rubs and more stuff than I will bore you with. 

Chose to do the maple bourbon ham and throw some crack and cheese in towards the end. Overall everything turned out great however I did learn a few lessons along the way. Got a little bit of bitter smoke so I either put one too many cherry chunks on or I didn't have the temp stabilized and everything burning clean before I put the ham on. Nobody complained, just me! Other thing was I didn't put anything under the tray of mac and cheese, just set it right on the placesetter and absolutely smoked the bottom of it. Most of it was still good, just missed out on the good crunchiness and got plenty of bad crunchiness. All in all a successful first cook, looking forward to firing it back up today and doing some ABT's to serve with leftover ham!

As they say, pics or it didn't happen so here it goes! The last one is a shirt that my step-mother gave to my dad, my sister and I for Christmas. I was drinking a homebrew that was a second run from a wee heavy that was heavily hopped up.

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Very nice first cook. Look at that beautiful white egg. That's the last time you'll see that, at least on this egg. Sounds like you learned the value of the air gap. That's what matters, you learned.

now you need a food snob shirt too because you just became one.
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    How did you like the food, compared to your old gas BBQ?

I highly recommend one of these, as it is much faster to light some prefer other starters. I love those because you can leave it in for a little bit of time and not worry about it burning itself out and you can build the fire to start from the bottom instead of the top of the charcoal which is what i prefer personally.

Welcome and enjoy.

XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    Excellent and Welcome..Look forward to seeing some more in the future..Have a great weekend.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    Thanks for the pic's and you'll be glad you took them because all that creamy white will be sooty black in no time.

A little smoking wood goes a long way - I use a single fist sized chunk for a rack of ribs. That size ham, maybe two.

You really hit the ground running on your first cook!! Usually people get thrown in the pool to see if they can swim, you jumped off a cliff to see if you could fly.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• zapped82
    Options
    Catching up on adding some pics from the rest of the holiday week. Cooked up some ABT's for a Christmas follow up (yes, forgot the drip pan and the foil wrap on the plate setter, another lesson learned). Then I made peach cobbler in my dutch oven, and rounded out the week with a NYE smoked sausage cook (don't have pics of that, sorry). Looking forward to cooking this weekend and learning more. Can't wait to get a couple nice steaks and try out the reverse sear!
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Food looks good and you learned a few items without ruining something. What could be better than that.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    Way to get after it! Nice shirt too.
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Good job, ain't they fun and tasty.  My bride gave me a looft lighter too and I really like it.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    zapped82 said:
    Catching up on adding some pics from the rest of the holiday week. Cooked up some ABT's for a Christmas follow up (yes, forgot the drip pan and the foil wrap on the plate setter, another lesson learned). Then I made peach cobbler in my dutch oven, and rounded out the week with a NYE smoked sausage cook (don't have pics of that, sorry). Looking forward to cooking this weekend and learning more. Can't wait to get a couple nice steaks and try out the reverse sear!

I used to worry about the PS getting "stuff" on it, but honestly, dealing with foil on the PS is a way bigger pita than just letting it ride. I scrape the gunk off with a putty knife if necessary. Welcome and enjoy.
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Welcome and looks like a great cook.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Welcome!! Looks like you are off to a great start!
    :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Did u notice your dog almost photo bomed you. Must of been his first try at photo bombing because his timing was off.
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Welcome. Great job on you first cook. Now get that egg dirty
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Good cooks! Whatcha drinkin... I've been enjoying some fine beers lately as well.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax