Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about slicing the top of a pork butt...

Options
I see some pics that show, slicing diagonally, the fat cap of a pork butt, before you start cooking it.  Can someone tell me the reason for this?  Does it allow for the smoke to penetrate better?
Thanks in advance.....

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I'm going to take a shot at this even though I'm not 100% sure of exactly what you are asking. However I think that you are asking about scoring the fat cap. If that's the case there are a couple of schools of thought on this. First it does allow heat to the lower part of the cap much faster thus aiding in rendering down a real heavy cap. Secondly if you score all the way through the cap, some folks like to put rub in this slits. By doing this you are actually putting rub right on top of the meat that is under the fat cap. Me personally, I see little benefit from scoring meat that will be slow smoked. Nothing wrong with doing it, I just deem it un necessary more often than not. Now scoring a world famous flounder from the Gulf of Mexico before deep frying, well thats a whole different ball game my friend. I highly recommend scoring in this situation. I hope that I at least partcially answered your question my friend. If not, I will gladly try again.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Bullhalsey
    Options
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    More surface area for the rub.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Agree that it does increase surface area for rub and smoke penetration.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    I normally remove the fat cap and expose the meat. Put rub on the meat and create more surface for bark. Also less fat collected in the drip pan to clean up.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    To me the scoring discussion is like debating whether the fat cap should go up or down. I've done it both ways and honestly it doesn't matter. I agree with @SGH‌, it's an unnecessary step.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Here's my experience with butt fat cap. It just falls off after the cook no matter what. So either I trim it off and get more bark or I just do fat cap down and let it peel off anyways. I'm doing two butts right now (letting the egg stabilize as we speak) and I wasn't feeling like trimming off the fat cap so I'll go fat cap down.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    I use the score method only if there is a really thick fat cap on the shoulder. I should probably trim it down, but the score is a matter of ease. Pork is pretty forgiving so either way will yield similar results.