Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Year's Day bone in pork shoulder

Options
CazualWhiteGuy
CazualWhiteGuy Posts: 36
edited January 2015 in Pork
Got a smaller 5.5b. bone in shoulder from the local grocery store yesterday, thought I'd try my first low 'n' slow on the small egg today. Loaded up the firebox to the bottom of the platesetter and layered in a few handfuls of peach wood chips.

Seasoned the pork shoulder with Bone Suckin' Sauce rub, brown sugar, cayenne, paprika, and a sweet & spicy homemade rub.

Been on the egg for a couple hours now at 250* and it's already at 125*, we'll see if we hit any stalls or if it just cruises on through. Will post some more pics when it's done!
Minneapolis, MN - 1 Large Big Green Egg & 1 Small Big Green Egg

Comments

• Egghead_Daron
    Options
    Looking good!
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    That looks like a perfect cook for the SBGE. I like to use a drip pan (especially for pork butts) and elevate it off the platesetter to reduce risk of a grease flare up, as well as that nasty burning grease smoke. (you could still put one in there if you want) I'll bet that peach wood is going to be great on there. Standing by for finished pics.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • CazualWhiteGuy
    Options
    minniemoh said:
    That looks like a perfect cook for the SBGE. I like to use a drip pan (especially for pork butts) and elevate it off the platesetter to reduce risk of a grease flare up, as well as that nasty burning grease smoke. (you could still put one in there if you want) I'll bet that peach wood is going to be great on there. Standing by for finished pics.

The butt fit perfectly and I'm excited to see how well the small does low 'n' slow with a full load. I'll be putting a drip pan with some apple juice and apple cider vinegar in shortly with a few little spacers beneath the pan. The peach wood smells great, I like it a lot on chicken and have heard good things about it on pork so I gave it a go. Not sure if I'm going to foil this one or not yet, we'll see how quick it cooks!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Looks like a fun cook for the lil workhorse. If you add liquid when you add the pan expect for the temp to drop considerably in the egg and maybe the butt. I would skip the liquid and just use an elevated pan. To me the liquid causes a cooler steamy spot under the meat and hurts the barks texture. But that's just me and definitely not trying to tell you it is the only way but just the way I do it.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • CazualWhiteGuy
    Options
    A few hours in.. Not showing too much color yet, probably won't wrap this one. Internal temp is showing 152* already, I'll check multiple areas before pulling it at the end. Shooting for somewhere around 195*-200*.

• CazualWhiteGuy
    Options
    Looks like a fun cook for the lil workhorse. If you add liquid when you add the pan expect for the temp to drop considerably in the egg and maybe the butt. I would skip the liquid and just use an elevated pan. To me the liquid causes a cooler steamy spot under the meat and hurts the barks texture. But that's just me and definitely not trying to tell you it is the only way but just the way I do it.

I actually added the pan and liquid and then removed it because of this very reason. The bark already won't have as long to crisp up as a large shoulder and I don't want to inhibit it even further with the steam.
  • CazualWhiteGuy
    Options
    Finally came off last night after about 12 hours, didn't expect it to go that long! Still had about 1/4-1/3 of my lump left in the small. Forgot a pulled photo but we all know what pulled pork looks like.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Well done sir! You've inspired me. I've had my small for a year and a half and I still haven't done a low & slow cook on it. Maybe it's time to remedy that oversight?
    Flint, Michigan
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options

Well done sir! You've inspired me. I've had my small for a year and a half and I still haven't done a low & slow cook on it. Maybe it's time to remedy that oversight?

:-t @-)
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013