Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mail Order Lump

Options

Hola Folks,

I like big lump and I cannot lie.....the problem is that it seems over time most lump mfgs have more and more smaller pieces in their bags.  Does anyone know of a website that offers reasonable shipping rates for different lump brands.  I would like to experiment...possibly.

Thanks

The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Here's a link to a site that is frequently used by members: http://www.firecraft.com/ I have no personal experience but for the most part they get good reviews.  Try the search box and firecraft and you may find a few threads for some background info. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bwarner
    Options
    Firecraft free shipping for orders over 99 bucks.
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Thanks guys
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • Black_Badger
    Options
    I've purchased Ozark Oak from Firecraft in that past. I thought the price was reasonable and I did like the charcoal, but I will say a few bags arrived pretty beat up and I always ended up with a lot of dust and unusable rubble. I think a big, bulky, heavy, dirty, somewhat fragile bag of carbonized wood is just a difficult thing to ship effectively and efficiently.

I hope you find something you like, and I do recommend giving Ozark Oak a shot for at least a bag or two.

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    http://www.wickedgoodcharcoal.com/
    http://www.wickedgoodcharcoal.com/

you can order a couple bags from this place, then to save on shipping buy a pallet. their new lump sounds more comparable to the lump that started the company years ago
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I am finishing my first bag of Fogo, via Amazon Prime.  Most of the bag was *big* chunks of charcoal.  I liked it alot.  It had a good clean flavor.  I am watching the price with camelcamelcamel and plan to buy more when the price drops back down.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    edited December 2014
    Options

Don't forget Fogo in the 35lb bags at Amazon!!  Free shipping (with a Prime account)  Excellent lump and LARGE pieces.  Currently out of stock, and the price varies dramatically.  Worth the cost at $45 list, was down to @$29 briefly not too long ago. http://www.amazon.com/Fogo-FHWC35LB-35-Pound-Hardwood-Charcoal/dp/B009P166SU/ref=pd_sim_lg_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0CNPHAQZQS4Z9C8HGY4P .  My experience with the smaller bags of Fogo is that they have smaller pieces.  35 Lb. bags should be back in stock shortly...

Santa Paula, CA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    as for small pieces, those go in my mini vision kub grill (mini bge knockoff)
    :D the bigger stuff goes in the large, the really big pieces get hammered down as they create uneven hot spots in the large, i think the large burns best with small to medium sized pieces
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RajunCajun
    Options
    I've purchased Ozark Oak from Firecraft in that past. I thought the price was reasonable and I did like the charcoal, but I will say a few bags arrived pretty beat up and I always ended up with a lot of dust and unusable rubble. I think a big, bulky, heavy, dirty, somewhat fragile bag of carbonized wood is just a difficult thing to ship effectively and efficiently.

I hope you find something you like, and I do recommend giving Ozark Oak a shot for at least a bag or two.

Cheers -
    B_B
    I have access to Ozark here locally.....and loved it until ~6months ago.  Now they too seem to have lots of small pieces and dust.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I'm a big fan of ordering Hasty Bake lump from Amazon. They ship in boxes of 5 - 10# bags each. If you watch the prices you can get it for around $50 or so. Apparantly it is relabeled Ozark Oak.

And there was this...
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1174373/hasty-bake-score-what-would-you-do#latest

That made me a fan for life. :smiley:
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    DMW said:

I'm a big fan of ordering Hasty Bak. lump from Amazon. They ship in boxes of 5 - 10# bags each. If you watch the prices you can get it for around $50 or so. Apparantly it is relabeled Ozark Oak.

And there was this...
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1174373/hasty-bake-score-what-would-you-do#latest

That made me a fan for life. :smiley:

I don't get it. Why not just order OO from firecraft at the same price? What is the difference?
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

....it seems over time most lump mfgs have more and more smaller pieces in their bags.

It's not anything we/they can really control.  Any small chunks before bagging occurs fall through the screens and get sold for briquettes, composting, munitions, etc.

It's all mother nature.  Density of the wood, grain, cut of wood, moisture content, ambient humidity, etc are all factors.  The wood comes in slabs, scraps from the lumber mills, so it's never going to be any bigger than what could have been a board.  You can make charcoal out of cord word, but it's hard to get an even char (brittle on the outside, wood on the inside.)  Same goes that you just couldn't throw a tree in a kiln, then cut off a 20# block of charcoal......not gonna happen.

I got a cantaloupe sized chunk out of one of my bags the other day--that was one of the biggest diameters I had witnessed in years come out of a RW bag.  Had a chunk the size of my forearm a few weeks ago (same run of bags.)  That was just a good kiln for big chunks......who knows if it will be that way ever again.

In any case, the higher the carbon content, the more brittle it's going to be--thus the more it's going to break down every time it moves (like a bag of Lay's potato chips.)

The good news it that know matter what the size, it has the same amount of BTU's and burns the same.  Yes, you're more susceptible to a flame out due to less airflow with smaller chunks--just get a high-flow fire grate and pour toward the outsides of the firebox.  Or always do your first pour to the bottom with a new bag, then save the bottom half of the bags to top off the upper half.  Us kamado guys are the only guys that want big chunks.  All my Weber, offset, and gravity fed guys want small to medium......so we shoot for medium-large if mother nature allows.

• RajunCajun
    Options

....it seems over time most lump mfgs have more and more smaller pieces in their bags.

It's not anything we/they can really control.  Any small chunks before bagging occurs fall through the screens and get sold for briquettes, composting, munitions, etc.

It's all mother nature.  Density of the wood, grain, cut of wood, moisture content, ambient humidity, etc are all factors.  The wood comes in slabs, scraps from the lumber mills, so it's never going to be any bigger than what could have been a board.  You can make charcoal out of cord word, but it's hard to get an even char (brittle on the outside, wood on the inside.)  Same goes that you just couldn't throw a tree in a kiln, then cut off a 20# block of charcoal......not gonna happen.

I got a cantaloupe sized chunk out of one of my bags the other day--that was one of the biggest diameters I had witnessed in years come out of a RW bag.  Had a chunk the size of my forearm a few weeks ago (same run of bags.)  That was just a good kiln for big chunks......who knows if it will be that way ever again.

In any case, the higher the carbon content, the more brittle it's going to be--thus the more it's going to break down every time it moves (like a bag of Lay's potato chips.)

The good news it that know matter what the size, it has the same amount of BTU's and burns the same.  Yes, you're more susceptible to a flame out due to less airflow with smaller chunks--just get a high-flow fire grate and pour toward the outsides of the firebox.  Or always do your first pour to the bottom with a new bag, then save the bottom half of the bags to top off the upper half.  Us kamado guys are the only guys that want big chunks.  All my Weber, offset, and gravity fed guys want small to medium......so we shoot for medium-large if mother nature allows.

Thanks a bunch for the detailed info.  I understand and agree with it all, but something tells me that something has changed at a macro mfg level.  Meaning for many years as I would open a bag of lump (any brand), there was a range of chunk sizes.  I could always sift through and find enough large chunks for my cook as well as a nice selection of smaller pieces, which would nicely sit atop of my pile.  Over the  years the number of larger pieces has dwindled.  All things equal (i.e. transportation), why would we see such a sharp decrease in larger chunks.  Have the trucks become rougher riding?  Or could it be that due to global demand the feed stock size assortment has broadened....moreso on the smaller end.  If my theory holds true, I would await a premium cost for "sorted" lump.  Just not sure if the market will buy.