Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oaks and maples

Options
Will it matter what species of oak or maple you use to smoke ? Or am I thinkin to deep?

Comments

• MadcapMagician
    Options
    Way too deep IMHO
    1 brand new XL BGE 1-22" WSM 1-Weber Performer 1-Four Seasons gasser West Islip, New York
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,828
    Options
    post oak and sugar maple but truth be told i just dig the oak and maple out of my fire wood pile randomly. you didnt mention hickory but ive found several trees in my area and just use a little bark off them, just as good as the wood and i have a lifetime supply of bark pruning. i like the free stuff and stopped buying along time ago
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    There are  lists out there matching kinds of wood for smoking with kinds of food . Many people have thought a lot about wood selection.

In general, it appears that harder woods are preferred. All the oaks work, but I prefer post oak also, followed by white oak. I've tried a few "soft" hardwoods, such as box elder, which is a maple, and tulip tree, aka yellow poplar. I disliked the taste from both of those. All the fruitwoods I've tried, and all the nut trees w. the exception of walnut have worked for me.