Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Frozen Egg

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Was going to do a batch of wings for the game and found the egg frozen shut - ya know, a Minnesota thang. Have seen various methods posted for addressing this. Thought I'd share one I haven't seen (doesn't mean it hasn't been posted before).[p]Took the mapp torch down the stack and gave it a 90 second blast. That took the internal temp to about 225 as registered by the thermometer. Fell fast - didn't do much more that warm the air a bit. 30 seconds later, opened just like it'd never been frozen. Others seem to have more patience, I was looking for the quick fix and thought I'd share ...[p]-- Steven

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    MN Chill,
    Genius comes in many sizes and shapes and sometimes north of the Mason Dixon Line. But a man has gotta do what a man has gotta do when it's gotta be done. (Sure, you can quote me on that)[p]Spring "South Of The Line" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Woody54
    Woody54 Posts: 148
    Options
    MN Chill,[p]Good idea, I had the same problem today, including the rain cap frozen on. Had to use a propane torch in the bottom vent. It took about 20 min., but I was taking it easy for fear I would shock some ceramic part and crack it. Plate setter was left in place. [p]This happens to me every time, even above freezing. I guess its the smoky, greasy goo left on the seals.[p]Woody54
  • ToddB
    ToddB Posts: 26
    Options
    I've had the seals freeze as well. I'd bet with all that heat comes alot of humidity build-up.

I ran a thin metal ruler between the seals and that freed the lid.

Hope this works for you as well...

Todd
  • MN Chill, would'nt a cover solve the entire problem?
  • Mik of Alaska
    Options
    MN Chill,
    Mine has never done that here in Alaska but if it ever does I'll keep in mind how you got past your frozen egg. Others have just droped in a wax starter thru the top and had great sucess...just something to concider. Mik

• MadDogMoore
    Options
    Mik of Alaska,[p]Are you enjoing 6 more minutes per day of sunshine yet? Still spicy your cooks with volcanish ash? When does halibut season officially start???[p]Land of Maddi

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Just Wondering,
    I think moisture could still freeze in there even with a cover on if you get the right conditions. Like Minnesota in February.[p]Sounds like it was pretty painless for him. Good tip.
    Cheers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ