Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib

Options
BGE Pit Crew
BGE Pit Crew Posts: 149
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all, I went to the archives and found the recipe I was looking for, but didn't say how long per lb. I'm doing the somewhat lo-n-slo method (250) with sear at the end. Any help? Thanks, Dana

Comments

• Luvmyegg
    Options
    BGE Pit Crew, [p]The roast I made with this method turned out to be the best roast ever! Perfectly and evenly pink throughout. I had a 4.5# roast and it took a total of 2 1/2 to 3 hours. My method involves removing the roast at a temp. of 117, covering with foil until the temp. rises to 128. I like my meat rare to med. rare. In the meantime fire up the egg to 500 degrees. Return roast to the egg X 10 minutes. Good luck!

• BGE Pit Crew,
    Dana, check your email.

• Luvmyegg
    Options
    Luv My Egg,[p]Check my original post in the archives dated 12/11/03 under Most Perfect Rib Roast (Julie). Looks like the time required with more like 3 - 3.5 hours.

• BGE Pit Crew
    Options
    Richard, Got it! Thanks a bunch, I'll have to try all now. Dana

• Luv My Egg,
    Hope ya don't mind if I try to help out here.[p]
    Regards,
    Bordello
    aka New Bob

[ul][li]Link[/ul]
  • BGE Pit Crew
    Options
    Luv My Egg,[p]You guys are the BEST! I have Canadian relatives coming to dinner today, so I'm pulling out all the stops. My roast is 12lbs, so I'll have to adujust my time. Thanks, Dana
  • Luvmyegg
    Options
    BGE Pit Crew,
    Wow. A 12 lb. roast is a big one. I tried this for my family too with a larger roast. My additional suggestion would be that the roast should achieve close to the desired finished temperature during the initial rise before searing for the last 10 minutes. My experience with the sear later method for anything I make is that the temperature does not continue to rise much at all during the final searing and resting period. So adjust your cooking times accordingly. Might want to warm your plates for serving too. I noticed the meat will cool off quickly if you don't eat right away.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Luv My Egg,[p]For one that big, I would go with a longer initial rest (maybe an hour), wrapped & in a cooler to let all the juices re-distribute before the sear.[p]Following the sear, I keep the Egg going during the 2nd rest and until slicing. If anybodys slice is too rare, toss it back on and flip once.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    BGE Pit Crew, here is a note. I have heard that a full 7 bone prime rib will cook faster than a 5 bone rack. I have seen that 20 minutes a pound is fine for smaller roast but a larger roast MAY cook sooner (10-15 per pound). Now since your doing the sear at the end this allows you to strech the resting period if needed to allow for other dishes be ready at the same time.

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    tach18k, Make sure the Egg is stable at 250 minimum be fore stating