Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is the perfect temp to serve brisket???

Options
Hello All,
I just got a new sous vide machine and it has me thinking about an interesting question for reheating and serving leftovers. Let's say I had a big hunk of brisket left over (I know, RARELY if ever happens...) and I want to bring it back to serving temp without cooking it more or drying it out. Seems like sous vide should be a perfect solution, right? Am I missing something?

So, as the title of the post posits, what is the ideal temp to get a nice slice of brisket point where the fat is melted and it's juicy and delicious?

Cheers all -
B_B
Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,795
    Options
    I find 140 degrees to be perfect. Everybody has different preferences and tastes, but 140 is about ideal to serve at. Also reheating to 140 eliminates the chance of any farther cooking.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Black_Badger
    Options
    Perfect dude, that's what I was hoping to do!

Cheers @SGH!

B_B

Middleton, WI
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Fresh at 140℉
    But, I'll eat that joker the next day cold in sammys too :D
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,838
    Options
    not owning one of these machines, can you really overcook a brisked thats been cooked to 200 degrees while wrapped in a foodsaver
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,676
    Options
    Out of the fridge and into my mouth is norm
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Options
    All these years and the only time I've ever reheated brisket is in a taco. I like it fresh or cold or in a taco I guess.

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • DougA
    DougA Posts: 12
    Options
    I have a few slices in the fridge from Sunday's cook that I am still munching on. I FTC'd at 7:30am and it was 145 at 1pm, just right.
  • Black_Badger
    Options
    Okay, so 140 sounds like the target temp, which is great. Now I'm wondering if i should slice the brisket up before I seal it or reheat the portion I have whole. We ate all of the flat about maybe 1/3 of the point right after cooking and FTC.

I'm guessing presliced will come to temp much faster and help avoid further cooking, but may end up dry, while non-sliced will basically be the opposite. Maybe I'll do half and half as an experiment...

Thanks again to everyone for their thoughts.

Cheers all -
    B_B

Middleton, WI