Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Comfortable minimum lump quantity?

Options
2»

Comments

• jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    I need to have one unopened bag.  
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• tridogdude
    Options
    g37 - Thanks for the info. I will check it out. Just ordered 50lbs of Hasty Bake lump from Amazon with Free Shipping. Pretty sure they are going to lose money on shipping that here for Free. 

Where you at in HI? We have gone over there about 20 times and go every winter for 3 weeks. Kona is where we usually go.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Wow, I buy one bag of lump.  When it gets low, I buy another one.  If you store hundreds of pounds of lump, how many propane tanks did you have back when you owned a gasser?
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Griffin said:
    I guess I'm the odd man here. When I get down to 1/4 of a bag, I go buy a new one. Unless I'm doing a low and slow or I happen to see it on sale. Never had a problem finding it here in Dallas.
    nope, you aren't alone, welcome to the club of those that don't stockpile lump.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    I use RW exclusively now. I like to have one bag opened and a stash of 3 unopened. Just feels right.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Botch said:

When the bag gets down to about 1/3 left, I go buy another bag.

:-S
    Same, I usually buy a bag or 2, and when I get down to about a half bag or less I start thinking about buying another few bags, haha.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Zmokin said:

Wow, I buy one bag of lump.  When it gets low, I buy another one.  If you store hundreds of pounds of lump, how many propane tanks did you have back when you owned a gasser?

I keep 4 20 pounders. When I get down to two I get those refilled. I'd like to get two more.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    Options
    @tridogdude‌ I live on oahu. With that being said I just ordered RW from firecraft. The overnight shipping is cheap. I'm gonna order 8 or 10 bags today.
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • tridogdude
    Options
    @g37  I checked out the shipping on Firecraft website and by the time shipping was added on it was about what I can get it here in town. Amazon had Free Shipping on Hasty Bake and it came out to $1 per pound so got 100 lbs. Still have two bags here so should be good for a little but. 

What is the price locally if you buy lump? Your prices are higher there than even what we pay. 
  • g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    Options
    @tridogdude‌. Yeah stuff is very expensive here. I wanted to try RW we don't have it here. Theres very few lump available here.
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    I see we have some serious Preppers on the forum.

I will say though, when I was using anything Home Depot or Walmart carried, I had no worries. Now that I'm using OO, I'm a little worried that I'm down to 3 bags. Will place an order with FireCraft tonight. Thanks for posting @lousubcap‌, this was a good prompt for me to order more.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Preppers:  The needs of the one outweigh the needs of the many, and society, and country.  Same reason ammo prices skyrocketed after Obama took office.  Totally awesome, those fear chain mails made the very people that buy ammo pay 4 times as much for it.  Stimulates the economy.
    Options
    Here's my current stash. image
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options

Preppers:  The needs of the one outweigh the needs of the many, and society, and country.  Same reason ammo prices skyrocketed after Obama took office.  Totally awesome, those fear chain mails made the very people that buy ammo pay 4 times as much for it.  Stimulates the economy.

@nolaegghead‌ that's a pretty broad definition you've got there. I consider myself a prepper because I'm at least moderately prepared for at least some bad situations. For example: I keep several guns on or near me at all times. I keep my gas tank full. I keep my pantry stocked with staples. I keep extra gasoline, propane, and yes at least several bags of lump. I keep a back up generator in well running condition in the shed. I keep a bag in the truck with a first aid kit, and other survival essentials.

I'm not crazy or prepared for the zombie apocalypse but last year when an ice storm knocked out power for several days we didn't miss a beat, kinda enjoyed it actually; while others panicked. \m/
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC.