Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First pizza Questions

Options
Kinger
Kinger Posts: 147
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have looked at TNW's website on pizza and have read some of the most recent posts on pizza making. Provided that I can go to my local BGE dealer and find a pizza stone in stock I will be making pizza for super sunday. This will be my first try at pizza. I have done precious little baking in my past and am wondering if I should just go buy the Publix pizza dough or should I make my own. We don't have a bread machine but do have a stand mixer. Any thoughts? The thinking with regard to doing the premade is "one less thing to go wrong" on my first time pizza cook.[p]JNK

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    JNK,
    I vote for publix dough, worry about everything else and then make your own dough once you have tried it a time or two.
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    JNK,
    I saw a pre-made, already flat, naked pizza dough at the market the other day and decided, what the heck. The package said 450 degrees and it looked like it had already been run through a heat source since it had char marks on it. I loaded it up with toppings and gave it a try at the temp the package said. It still turned out better than any delivery pizza I have ever had!

• Banker John
    Options
    JNK,
    for the first few cooks, my advice would be to use pre-made dough. Buy the Publix dough on Friday and put it in the fridge until Saturday. [p]Pull the dough out of the fridge at the same time you light the egg. Let the egg stabilize for about 45 minutes at 515 before you start cooking. Cook for about 9 minutes. Go light on the toppings in the beginning.[p]THe hardest part of pizza, for me, was getting the temp settings correct... I mean knowing the vent settings to achieve my desired temp without constantly fiddling with the air flow settings. That being said, I would also suggest firing up the grill tomorrow or saturday with the exact set up you plan on using to learn the vent settings.[p]Best of luck and share your experiences.[p]Banker John