Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Chuck Roast

Options
I wanted to share some pics of the Chuck Roast that I do fairly frequently for our family as it seems to go over quite well.  First, credit to the basic premise described here (http://www.smoking-meat.com/january-2011-smoking-a-chuck-roast), which I've used as a foundation and added various tips/etc (credit to http://www.tmbbq.com/chucks-and-shanks/).  Here goes...

Ingredients
1.  Chuck Roast - the ones we buy are typically around 3 pounds give or take.
2.  Beef Stock - I like the "bold" or more concentrated kind.
3.  Yellow Mustard
4.  Your favorite BBQ Rub - for beef, I like something with a little more pepper/garlic/onion than the typical BBQ rub, but the choice is yours!
5.  Beer - I usually use a decent Lager.

Process
1.  A day before I place the roast in a pan/bag and cover it with stock.
2.  Day of, I collect the marinade (and juice from the beef itself), and inject it back into the roast.
3.  I prepare my BGE for smoking (temp around 275 preferred - I've done 300-325 in a time crunch)
4.  I put a thin coat of yellow mustard all over the roast, and dust with the rub.  Personal preference, but I like the coverage you get by using mustard as a "glue" for rub on mostly any BBQ.  Don't worry about tasting it, as you won't.
5.  I smoke the Roast (uncovered) until the internal temperature gets to 135-140.  At this time, I wrap the roast in a double layer of heavy foil, and pour about a cup of Lager in the bottom before I wrap it up tight.
6.  I preheat my indoor oven to the lowest it'll go (mine is 170 degrees)
7.  Once the Roast gets to an internal temp of 195-200, I start the rest period by transferring the wrapped up roast to the indoor oven, where I let it rest for a variable amount of time.  I let it rest no less than 1 hour, usually at least 2 hours, and optimally closer to 3 hours (it all depends what kind of time you have).
8.  After your rest period, slice it (my preference) or I suppose you could pull it if you prefer, and throw it on a nice bun with your favorite sauce, and I doubt you'll be disappointed!

Overall, I have found that steps #5 and #7 have made this come out a lot better than my earlier runs.  Chuck Roast can dry out pretty quick, so wrapping earlier (the 135-140 range) helps keep it most from the steam created inside the foil by the beer (note - you can just as soon throw some beef broth in there).  I used to never rest the meat for as long as described in #7, and after I started doing that for Chuck Roast (and Brisket fwiw), I wouldn't do it any other way.

Enjoy!

Comments