Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston butts @ 300 degrees

Options
My intention was to smoke at 250 but I stepped out and it ran to 300 and has been at 300 for a couple hours. I'm going to just let it go since it is stuck at 300, how many hours/pound at 300?

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    @300 I would guess right at 1hr per lb. I do 7-8lbs in under 6hrs at 350

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    +1 for what @Mattman3969‌ said.
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    Not sure if you got the additional time, but I would back of the temperature once the butt gets about 160-170*. The butt needs time to slowly render off the fat and change from roast pork to pulled pork. That phase is critical and takes time. In my opinion if its rushed by higher temperatures, it will still have uncooked fat, not pull as easily, and be drier.
  • jeroldharter
    Options
    I now do turbo butts (bone in pork shoulder) at 350. I foil it between 160-180 and stop at 200-202. Takes me about 5+ hours.  I find no difference compared to 17 hours for two butts at 225. 

I have 4 department Christmas parties for which I make 2 6-7 lb butts each. I put them on at midnight, set the alarm for 3-3:30 to foil, and then they are don ~5:30 AM. I FTC in a Yeti cooler. By noon, they are still steaming hot, pork falls apart, smoke fills the room...excellent.