Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Good One lump review

Options
KennyLee
KennyLee Posts: 806
edited December 2014 in EggHead Forum

Started out a couple years ago with a free bag of BGE lump they threw in with my Egg, then used a few bags of Cowboy because of price and accessibility, made the mistake of getting a big bag of Stubbs at Costco, then on to OO when I finally found someone who carried it within a half hour of the house, then a dozen or so bags of Rockwood that I got in a couple group buys.  The RW group buys are a thing of the past and no one around me carries it.  Not real crazy about ordering online with the shipping of lump, so when I ran out of RW and was in a pinch, I decided to give The Good One a shot, which is carried by my local ACE and gets good reviews on Naked Whiz.....and I see why. 

I've done several cooks with it now and it lights easily (using Bernzo propane torch), has a little stronger smell/flavor than RW and OO, but very slight difference.  Overall pretty mild, but with a hint of wood flavor.  It got to temp very quickly and easily and burned off well.  The pieces were what I would call medium to large throughout the bag with very little waste or dust.  Very pleased with that aspect.

Retail price was about $1 per pound which I think is a little high and comparable to OO and RW, however I had a ACE card discount (which I receive often since I shop there a lot) that I applied and got the price to $.75 a pound.  

Overall very pleased and will use this pretty regularly along with OO which I will pick up when I happen to be in the area of the only retailer around that sells it.     

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

Comments

• ChicagoEgghead20
    Options
    appreciate the review 
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options

I'm content with Royal Oak. I've had bags with almost no waste to bags with 10% waste.

I do not have many choices of what to buy. Local Ace sells Cowboy lump at $16 for 20 pounds; not my favorite but works in a pinch. A little further away I pick up RO for under $12 for 20 pounds. When in that area during work travels I pick up a few bags.

I've seen where other lump last 10% longer but cost 2x as much; how does that translate into any $avings.

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    @KennyLee‌, thanks for the review. It's always good to know about different kinds of lump in case a guy comes across a bargain. I've been ordering from FireCraft with good results. I thought my wife was gonna have a heart attack when the FedEx guy delivered a 100lbs of OO. She's good now though. Lately I've read a few posts on how long lump last, but I think there's too many variables to figure it out unless your running two eggs side by side with different lump. I know if I'm egging with OO my time from ignition to start grilling time is about 3x quicker than it was when using RO because it burns so clean.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @stemc33‌ but first you must start a towering inferno, get the egg to 1000+ and cool back down to insure no VOCs ;)
  • Mikee
    Options
    stemc33 said:
     I know if I'm egging with OO my time from ignition to start grilling time is about 3x quicker than it was when using RO because it burns so clean.
    I currently use a chimney starter. With RO I am ready to cook in 10-15 minutes. Are you saying that with OO you are grilling in under 3-5 minutes?
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Mikee said:

I'm content with Royal Oak. I've had bags with almost no waste to bags with 10% waste.

I do not have many choices of what to buy. Local Ace sells Cowboy lump at $16 for 20 pounds; not my favorite but works in a pinch. A little further away I pick up RO for under $12 for 20 pounds. When in that area during work travels I pick up a few bags.

I've seen where other lump last 10% longer but cost 2x as much; how does that translate into any $avings.

You don't know what you dont know :| If the price is foremost why have an egg?
    Jacksonville FL
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Get your purses out boys, here we go again. @Mikee‌ why can't you accept that some folks here prefer other lump besides RO? If you like it, fine, but some folks think it's inferior? Why, oh why can't you let it go?
  • stemc33
    Options
    @Mikee‌, I also use a chimney and can say that using OO is faster. No I'm not egging in 3-5 minutes and if your using the method you described in earlier posts of bringing the egg up to 500° and back down, your not egging within 10 minutes either unless your using the pipe thing that attaches to the top of the egg. I have very limited outdoor cooking experience and have learned all my egg stuff here on the forum and from mistakes and successes in my short time egging. I really have no idea which lump is the best and appreciate everybody's feedback on lump and all things related to the egg. I will use RO but prefer OO. Ive been burned by RO too many times with tiny pieces and that's the real reason I switched in the first place. Everybody has their reasons for doing what they do. And now that @KennyLee‌ has reviewed The Good One, I'll pick up a bag if I come across it.

@KennyLee‌, my apologies for the sidebar. Thanks again for the review.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • KennyLee
    Options

@stemc33 no worries.  You were just responding to another post.  Just figured I'd throw out a review on a lump that I haven't seen get much mention around here. 

I'm like you and love OO, but I'll use this stuff now some too when I need to. 

LBGE

• Mikee
    Options
    Get your purses out boys, here we go again. @Mikee‌ why can't you accept that some folks here prefer other lump besides RO? If you like it, fine, but some folks think it's inferior? Why, oh why can't you let it go?

I think that some people over exaggerate their lump. You seem to be one that does. I have had good success with RO. Why do you have a problem with that? Did I ever say RO is the best? Did I even say it was better that another brand? Get off your high horse. Read what I write and leave out your biased opinion.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Dude, I've said if you're happy fine more than once. Give it a rest. I don't really give a **** what you use, but you continue to push RO. Just give it a rest. You learned nothing from the up or down thread?
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I have used RW and liked it, but am satisfied with RO also at a much lower price (shipping is the killer for RW out here).  I find when I buy it at Home Depot, the pieces are large.  I assume HD buys it by the truckload, and the store gets a whole pallet on their own truck, so the intermediate handling is minimal.   

With that said, I recently bought a bag of Humphrey lump which I can get for about $13 for a 20 lb bag.  It is well reviewed by the Naked Whiz.   Just opened it and used a few large pieces in my chimney starter to launch a brisket.  Looks good for a start,  we'll see how it does when I fill up with it.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Mikee
    Options
    stemc33 said:.

I kinda of thought the 3x faster start up time was unreal. Perhaps shaving off a couple of minutes is possible.

I am using a chimney starter. After about 5 minutes the lump is glowing red and my gauge on the dome is 500-600*. I dump the chimney in the fire box and let it light up what's in there. Total time is 10-15 minutes.

I think saying OO is 3x faster is misleading. Had you said its a minute or two faster, then it would be believable.

• stemc33
    Options
    @KennyLee‌, you might want to try ordering from FireCraft. I've read a few bad reviews but my experience ordering lump has been good. The only bad experience was when my wife ordered an iGrill 2. About the same time she ordered it, iDevices recalled the product and FireCraft kept telling us next week. I don't know if FireCraft was relaying info from iDevices or what the deal was.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Mikee
    Options
    Dobie said:
      You don't know what you dont know :| If the price is foremost why have an egg?

I knows what I know.

Higher price does not always equate to better value. Higher price does not even mean its a better product.

So what's your real point!

Or do you have one?

• KennyLee
    Options

@stemc33 appreciate the insight.  If I was further removed from a reliable lump supply, I no doubt would.  But I've got plenty of options close by.  I really like OO and RW and luckily OO is sold within a reasonable distance and it's close to my sister's house about 20 minutes away so I'm up that way every so often where I can pick some up.  The only RW supplier is over an hour, and no way I'm driving that far for lump unless I just happened to be there.

And ACE is just a few miles away too.   

LBGE

• stemc33
    Options
    @Mikee‌, my statement about OO being 3x faster was an exaggeration, but I think most got the point that it's faster. I'm not sure if you work for RO or not, but it's not the best. I just looked at your profile page. You have only started one discussion and most(a lot) of your comments are spent arguing with other members about RO. When a forum member goes on a rant, I look at their profile page for credibility(what other members value by likes and agrees). I'm sorry, but your going toe to toe with some experienced members that have contributed tons to the forum. I have a hard time not believing the experienced eggers and learning from their advice. I try to explain my point, but do not discredit them without facts.

Please, let's take a break from the arguing about lump and focus more on the positive things this forum has to offer.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Mikee
    Options
    I wish I had some more choices. Ordering off the internet is not much of an option. The cost to ship it is not practical. The place I buy my Royal Oak has pallets and pallets of it. I assume they buy it by the truck load.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Mikee said:

stemc33 said:.

I kinda of thought the 3x faster start up time was unreal. Perhaps shaving off a couple of minutes is possible.

I am using a chimney starter. After about 5 minutes the lump is glowing red and my gauge on the dome is 500-600*. I dump the chimney in the fire box and let it light up what's in there. Total time is 10-15 minutes.

I think saying OO is 3x faster is misleading. Had you said its a minute or two faster, then it would be believable.

@mikee I used to use RO, rebranded under my local grocer. I could get it for $0.59/lb. It would take around 15 minutes to get ready to cook. I decided to try Rockwood because I could get it in a group buy for about $0.75/lb. Much less ash, minimal to no waste per bag, and I am cooking(450ish) in 5 or 6 minutes. This is huge for me because it allows me to cook during the week. I am eating at the point I would just be putting the food on the egg with RO. While anecdotal, it's what I know and yes, it's 3x faster in my experience.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @Eggcelsior‌ wasted energy. Check his profile. Starting to think its a sleeper cell for trolling Nola
  • Mikee
    Options

Yolk must have crush on me. Everytime I post he has his nose up my azz.

How does it smell?

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Like roses. Your **** don't stink.
  • Mikee
    Options

Actually it doesn't stink.

Now can we return to posting about Egging!

• stemc33
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Oops. Accidentally hit the post button.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Mikee
    Options

As for your ability to poop without objectionable odor . . . quite impressive. =D>

Kudos.

B-)

When in my area, just come by at around 8:30 am. I let you be the judge!
  • KennyLee
    Options
    Just a quick update....I'm now into my third bag of The Good One and continue to be impressed and feel even better about giving it a great review.  I would definitely put it up there with the other lumps that get a lot of fanfare on here, namely OO and RW.  There just isn't anything negative to say about it.   

LBGE

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I don't know how I missed this thread last month. But I just want to thank a those involved. Especially @Mikee‌ and @theyolksonyou‌ I sincerely hope one of you is a democrat and the other a republican. Only that could be better. =))
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @Jeremiah‌ yep, that was fun. Earned me 11 disagree flags and one a couple questions about my sexuality. :D
  • Froman
    Froman Posts: 201
    Options
    Anybody else in central Iowa and know where I can get something besides RO/BGE. SWMBO hasn't been thrilled about ordering $100 of lump from fire craft to get free shipping. Something about we already have enough lump :). I. Her defense, she did just come home with a MM a week ago to add to the egg family.

I want to try some of the other ones that get a lot of attention without jumping all in with a large order.