Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

An Absolutely Wonderful Steak

Options
Anthony Up North
Anthony Up North Posts: 205
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I love beef and the flavor of beef. Many strong sauces and rubs do not enhance the flavor of beef, rather in my humble opinion, detract from it. (I'm not knocking marinades and rubs - they do have their place, obviously) But I am more of a beef purist than some folks.[p]Well here is a simple, uncomplicated, recipe, that truly does steak justice. I came across it on an inter-net site and it was posted by someone named Solana. Here is her simple but fantastic recipe:[p]1/2 cup butter.
2 teaspoons garlic powder.
4 garlic cloves
Sirloin Steak ( 4lbs)[p]Put the butter, garlic powder and crushed cloves in a small saucepan. Melt over medium high heat. Set aside.[p]Salt and pepper steak on both sides to taste. [p]I then did the steak on the BGE following the directions of others on this Forum some time ago.[p]I heated the BGE to 450 - 500 as has been suggested. Some like it hotter. I find these temps are adequate to get a nice sear mark. I think a crust is unnecessary to seal in the juices. Searing is more for appearance than for taste. Again, my opinion after doing steak for more than 20 years.[p]Put steak on direct heat - Seared steak 3 minutes on each side with vent wide open and daisy wheel completely off.[p]Then I completely shut vent, and let steak on 5 minutes (medium pink center). I took it out, placed on platter, poured the garlic butter on the steak. Let it set for 3 minutes, and then go at it.[p]What a wonderfule taste! What a juicy steak. And not as rich, as I thought would be the case because of the butter. My wife who likes steak simply loved it. I did too! It was a great success. I highly recommend it. And I thank Solana who ever she is.[p]My steak was only 1.25 lbs for the both of us. I reduced the ingredients in the recipe by about 75 %. Also this is a sirloin recipe. I do not know how it would work with other steaks that are more marbled with fat.[p]Enjoy! [p]Anthony[p]

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Anthony Up North, congratulations. Your 100% on the money. It just doesn't get any better than that.
    C~W[p]

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    Anthony Up North,[p]I have always believed that NOTHING goes better with steak than garlic. Your method sounds great!

• AndyR
    AndyR Posts: 130
    Options
    Anthony Up North,[p]Excuse me while I wipe the drool off my keyboard.[p]AndyR
  • Anthony Up North
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    C-W: Thanks!![p]You are one of the people who a while back was touting the 3-3-(4 or 5 or 6) method on this Forum. All I did was follow your suggestions.[p]And then I borrowed the sauce recipe from some other good person who likes steak. The results were a simply wonderful sirloing.[p]Proving once again, that novices are well advised to listen to experience and wisdom.[p]Thanks again. It is nice to see your note on this site again. We missed you in your brief absence[p]Anthony