Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

tri tip help

Options
r&r
r&r Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
hello fellow eggheads! this is my first post although i have been
cooking with the bge for a couple of years now. as you may
understand the egg took priority over the computer when it came time
as to which to buy first. now i have both and each certainly
compliments the other. but onto the hunt... will be cooking for the
family this labor day weekend and have decided to include on the
menu the elusive tri-tip. i have had some problems in running one down but now that i have i want to cook one of these suckers. now the problem is how to exactly go about it. this lowly grasshopper
would appreciate any input from the eggmasters. thanks in advance.

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    rr, my apology for the forum leapfrogging over your post, and welcome to the group. I post infrequently lately but have been around for quite a while.
    Tri Tips are very easy to do..I sear mine at 600F for just enuff to do all sides. Do em direct on the grill. Season as you prefer to taste. Plain salt and ground peppercorn is fine. Easy on the salt tho as it does draw moisture from the meat.
    Once you have browned or seared the meat over high heat as per a steak, then close down the top and lower vents and let the BGE with meat inside drop to the 300F level over the next 30 minutes. Check internal meat temp for around 140F for rare to medium rare. The tri tip will shrink in length and get fatter in the middle. Foil wrap and rest for about 10 minutes and carve saving the au jus for dipping.
    Or you can go to the following website by clicking the link below. An excellent reference for Tri Tip. More if you need it and e.mail is fine.
    Cheers and good luck!
    Char-Woody...gone again!

[ul][li]Tri Tips[/ul]
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    rr,
    Elder Ward told me about this style of cooking a tri-tip. The entire meal is listed on this web site. I am dying to give it a try. The only change that EW suggested is to rub the outside of the meat with a cut clove of garlic instead of using the garlic salt. [p]From what I have been reading, there are two very important things to remember. First, do not trim the fat off of the meat. Second, begin by searing the fat side of the meat and then flip to lean side.[p]Happy Grilling,
    RhumAndJerk

[ul][li]Santa Maria Style BBQ[/ul]