Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Smell of Brisket in the Morning!

Options
Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Smells like........victory. Just an update, since Bob and I were discussing possible times for this 7.3 pound chunk-o-chest. [p]It is cooking on second grate elevated over a pizza stone and water filled drip pan.[p]It has been on for 11 hours now. Started at 10pm. 180 with hickory/oak smoke. Worked up to a soild 200 dome by midnight. Woke up to check at 4:30 am. Dome had dropped to 165. Opening bottom draft revealed plenty of orange glow, so I gave it a couple little puffs, and closed the draft door so it was a bit wider than before. Tapped the daisy open a tad and went back to bed. 8:30 am, dome temp 200 on the nose.[p]Now, at 9:20, internal is 132, dome is 215, on its way to 225. Still hoping for 19.5 hours total. [p]Have a great weekend.
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• Teslamania
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Sounds great. Good luck with the cook. I have recipes salted away; planning on cooking a brisket some time soon!

• Smokin Bob
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]It must be that pizza stone and water in the drip pan that makes the difference in the length of cooking time. It sounds like a good alternative when one needs to delay the finish time. Looking good on that one NB.

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Smokin' Bob,
    Plus it's fun to cook these long cooks! Elder's method of 270 over a naked pizza stone produced a great brisket. But something about those 20-hour-plus-without-opening-the-lid briskets. I am bit concerned because there was very little fat cap. Very very little. I am hoping that , with the water in the pan, and not opening the egg, and keeping the temps low...that I can offset the fact that there is no fat cap.[p]I guess we will find out. Any suggestions?? I don't have any bacon.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]The last one I did had very little fat cap as well but it came out to be one of the best ones yet. It was still very moist and fork tender. I did not use water or stone and the cook time went much faster as I stated in prior posts. It will be interesting to hear your results with the longer cookin times to see if that affects the moisture outcome.[p]I never open the dome while I'm smoking except to pull dinner out of the egg. This has been my practice since day one and I just have faith that the egg will do it's thing without my involvement. Always great results unless I sleep late :~)

• King-O-Coals
    Options
    Nature Boy, no bacon, streets and bridges frozen, stores closed,, how about a layer of thin sliced Spam? I smiled when I thought of that, but then as I gazed at the ceiling and pictured it,, I'm keeping that in mind as a protective cover for brisket or venison..

• Nature Boy
    Options
    King-O-Coals,
    There is an idea! Spam fat cap.[p]1:00 now, Mr. Chunk-o-chest has arrived at plateau temps after 15 hours. Dome temp at 225. I am leaving for the party at 6, so I should be on target for 18 hours.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Nature Boy, Like a romp in the woods..you marked your trail to success real good. Enjoy!

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Talking about the fat cap on your brisket, (or lack of same) in your case: One of the big 'selling features' of the EGG is that you don't have to do the basting/mopping necessary on a Weber or similar 'cue. Do you think that Eggwise a nice layer of fat is for flavor only, and not the necessity that it is moisturewise for other types of grills? Interesting to hear how that brisket turns out, since that it the last of the 'big three' (pulled pork, ribs and brisket) that I've yet to try on the EGG.[p]
  • Nature Boy,
    One question, when I'm cooking I try to store
    uncooked meat 40* or less, and as I cook it I
    try to get it to 140* in 4 hours or less. The reason being
    those of health. Any bugs that at work between those temps
    will die once you get it over 140* internal but the toxins
    they leave behind is what causes the problems. I am I
    over looking something?
    Jim