Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Up or down?

Options

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @Sardonicus
    Is that a new signature line for you? If not, I just noticed it. Have to say, it's perfect for this forum. :D
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options

Too many eggers think the white smoke clears, then it good to cook. The problems is that they only lit 1/2 half the lump. What happens when the other 1/2 heats up and it gives of VOC's?

While it may not show up as it does on the immediate lite up, it is still there as your cooking. 

Burn it off on the initial light. Why are so many not in favor of ridding the VOC's on the first 10-15 minutes?

• DMW
    Options
    @nolaegghead
    You are wise beyond your years. Thank you for gracing us mere mortals with your presence on this ever important thread. Our lives have been enriched by your wisdom.

BTW, I'm really looking forward to meeting you in Salado.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Whelp, since the guy with 11k+ posts to his name said so, I'm switching. B-)
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @DMW - I should be be in the acolyte's shoes here.  You are an impressive cook and I am looking forward to the same at Salado. 
    Options
    I'm with you. Get as much lump cooking and then back down unless your cooking at high temps like steaks.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Let me clarify.  I light my candles the same way as my egg.  I turn it upside down, then light the bottom.  Fire burns up, right?  so I'm cooking off all the VOCs (AKA "wax") off the wick.  Makes a bloody mess but meets everyone's solution to their theory about VOCs, right?
    Options
    Mikee said:

Too many eggers think the white smoke clears, then it good to cook. The problems is that they only lit 1/2 half the lump. What happens when the other 1/2 heats up and it gives of VOC's?

While it may not show up as it does on the immediate lite up, it is still there as your cooking. 

Burn it off on the initial light. Why are so many not in favor of ridding the VOC's on the first 10-15 minutes?

Eggers? The whole BBQ world! Take this magical apple to the masses, Newton!
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Mikee said:
    I'm with you. Get as much lump cooking and then back down unless your cooking at high temps like steaks.
    Really?
    "Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    Options
    Mikee said:

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    I hold my torch on top at 10, 2 and 6 o'clock positions for 20-30 seconds each spot.image
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• FarmerTom
    Options
    This would seem to be a simple matter to me.  If the issue with VOC;s is flavoring the food, then it would follow that the amount of time and where to light the lamp is strictly a matter of personal preference.  If one likes to throw their food on after a five minute burn then that is the right way for them.  If someone else prefers their lump to be totally in a state of combustion, then that is the correct method for that person.  Sort of like driving a Ford or a Chevy, it's whatever floats your boat.

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    FarmerTom said:
    This would seem to be a simple matter to me.  If the issue with VOC;s is flavoring the food, then it would follow that the amount of time and where to light the lamp is strictly a matter of personal preference.  If one likes to throw their food on after a five minute burn then that is the right way for them.  If someone else prefers their lump to be totally in a state of combustion, then that is the correct method for that person.  Sort of like driving a Ford or a Chevy, it's whatever floats your boat.

What about those of us who drive both a Ford and a Chevy ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Personally, I have two Japanese and a German, but I'm happy with how I light my lump.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I feel kind of guilty trying to make a point through sarcasm.   Let's use this example. 

You have a weird EGG.  This egg is basically a 20 inch tube that's 10 feet tall.  The top and bottom are exactly like a large BGE.  Dome on top with daisy wheel, vent on bottom with fire grate.

You load this elongated egg with 10 feet of lump.  You are planning on cooking at 250F dome.  It takes about a handful of burning coals to provide the heat in the efficient ceramic, enclosed environment of the kamado cooker.

Gravity makes hot, less dense gas go up. 

You only need that one handful of burning embers to maintain the heat.  Let's look at what happens if you burn that column of fuel like a candle or a candle upside down.  (what's not mentioned is burning the whole damn thing, and that's just too much heat for 250F).

Bottom:
    You light the bottom and (the fire and heat go up, "cooking" the lump above it.  It's a 10 foot pile, so you're cooking off a lot of VOCs.   Constantly since you need a near-combustion temp to release them from the affectionate ability activated charcoal has to hold on to volatile organic compounds.  The effect - constant release of complex unburned hydrocarbons into your food.

Top:
    Light at the top with just enough burning to make the heat you need and you have hot fire that's going right into your food, and not a column of coal, cooking out VOCs that would normally be burned.

Understand this one thing and you'll be making a good fire for low and slows.  Hot fires for grilling are easy.
    Options
    @SGH
    I used to have that problem. Thankfully my work fleet car is no longer a Ford and is now a Chevy. And I got rid of my wife's problematic Chrysler Pacifica and got her a Tahoe.

We are now a through and through bow-tie family. My truck, her SUV, and my work car. All in the right now. ;)
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• FarmerTom
    Options
    If one of them was my son's Dodge, I would have to say you like smoke and lots of it.

Tommy 

1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    FarmerTom said:
    Tom, I don't think anyone cares if Mikee burns his lump for 10 hours before putting food on.  What is kinda insulting is his insistence that everyone else is wrong.  That everyone he says are wrong have a whole lot of years experience with BBQ and egging.  People just want to toy with him a bit due to his arrogance.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Mikee
    Options
    Why not burn off the VOC's?
  • DMW
    Options
    Mikee said:
    Who says we aren't?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Mikee said:

Even if I'm not, I can't taste them so who cares? My liver will fail first anyway. :D
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Mikee said:

They are being "burnt" off. They just don't have to be on fire to do so.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    Mikee said:

dumb question, where/how does one draw the line between the lit 1/2 and the unlit 1/2?  btw, when I swim in a public pool, I always stay in the no-pissing section of the pool   :D
    canuckland
  • FarmerTom
    Options
    Fred19Flintstone   I gotta agree with you.  I don't see the point.  As much as you guys cook, it's obviously not going to hurt you.  Lump costs too much to waste it (at least it is for me.)  Maybe I haven't done a low enough cook, but always seems the smoke has cleared by the time the dome is hot enough for my cooks, and I don't want to wait any longer than necessary to start cooking.

Tommy 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    DMW said:
    @SGH
    I used to have that problem. Thankfully my work fleet car is no longer a Ford and is now a Chevy. And I got rid of my wife's problematic Chrysler Pacifica and got her a Tahoe.

We are now a through and through bow-tie family. My truck, her SUV, and my work car. All in the right now. ;)

I was just attempting to be humorous above. I dive a Chevy as well my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mikee
    Options
    Mikee said:

dumb question, where/how does one draw the line between the lit 1/2 and the unlit 1/2?  btw, when I swim in a public pool, I always stay in the no-pissing section of the pool   :D

My guess is that someone drank the water in the wrong end of the pool.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Don't listen to SGH.  He drives a John Deere tractor, and he's armed with an AR15 with $600 of tax stamps. And he cooks on a broken down weber kettle.  I think he mentioned that last part.
    Options
    FarmerTom said:
    Fred19Flintstone   I gotta agree with you.  I don't see the point.  As much as you guys cook, it's obviously not going to hurt you.  Lump costs too much to waste it (at least it is for me.)  Maybe I haven't done a low enough cook, but always seems the smoke has cleared by the time the dome is hot enough for my cooks, and I don't want to wait any longer than necessary to start cooking.
    Lump is cheap. I spent less than $120 for the last year.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Mikee said:
    FarmerTom said:
    Lump is cheap. I spent less than $120 for the last year.

That sheds some light on the situation.