Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Getting ready.

Options
13»

Comments

• Central_Bama_Egger
    Options
    All looks fantastic!!
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • Gman2
    Gman2 Posts: 421
    Options
    Can't wait to see all the great meals coming this holiday season!!! Great start!!
    LBGE, Mechanicsville, Va., LBGE, Duck, NC, XLBGE Wake, Va.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    The ole ham.
    imageimageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    The ham is a simple spiral cut store bought ham. Spritzed it with Jack Daniels and brown sugar. Adds a unique but excellent twist on a ready made ham. Pecan and heavy oak for smoke.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    imageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I seriously envy that smoker. Hopefully I'm able to build one close to it next year. HOPEFULLY you're still around so as I can pick your brain. [-O< :D
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Looking good... How spicy is that turkey on a scale of 1-10?
  • SGH
    Options
    @Jeremiah‌
    I will gladly share what I know my friend. This unit is unique in that I built in 2 sliding dampers in between the firebox to the vertical and from the horizontal back to the vertical. What this allows is to run the main chamber any where from 180-400+ degrees but still be able to manipulate the vertical anywhere from 150-700+ degrees at the same time. It's a very, very useful feature. I can be smoking brisket in the main chamber at 225 degrees and cooking pizza at over 700 degrees in the vertical at the same time. It's a fuel hog but it's performance leaves nothing to be desired. For the record: There is someone on this forum who can get you a heck of a good deal on a exact replica of this pit if you are interested. It measures-
    30"x84" in the main chamber and the vertical can be built to your specification within reason. Or the vertical can be left off all together. That said, I highly recommend the vertical. It increases capacity dramatically, as well as offers the ability to grill and/or cook raised direct. Also it can be used as a massive warmer/holding oven as well. When you get ready to buy or build a pit, give me a shout my friend. I will be more than glad to help in any way that I can. Also if you are ever down my way, feel free to stop by and test drive a few of my pits. Cooking on one forehand really helps in determining what you want.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @hapster‌
    Thanks brother. It's about a 7 on the spicy scale. It's not practical joke hot but it will get your attention for sure.

Status- Standing by.

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Thanks SGH. I've never given the vertical that much thought as it's always been conveyed to me that it was just a warmer. But the way you describe it, crap now it seems a must. If I'm going to invest the time and money I want to do it right, and be able to fill all our future needs. Again, thanks.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • SGH
    Options
    @Jeremiah‌
    Without the double dampers it would be just a warmer my friend. But with the dampers it's a independant grill, smoker or warmer. You said it best above, it's a must in my opinion.

Jack Daniels and sugar glaze going on.
    imageimage

Status- Standing by.

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    I just ate my supper, but I'm pretty sure I could sit back down when that hits the table!
  • Gman2
    Gman2 Posts: 421
    Options
    That looks fantastic!!
    LBGE, Mechanicsville, Va., LBGE, Duck, NC, XLBGE Wake, Va.