Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chili Question

Options
Cote
Cote Posts: 5
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anybody have any good special chili recipies? There is a chili cookoff coming up here in Moible, AL and I am anxious to give my new egg a try at it. Any pointers I should know too?[p]Thanx

Comments

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    Pb290112.jpg
    <p />Cote,[p]I ground my own chuck for this,2 1/2 pounds. I think it would have been better chopped coarsely than ground.[p]Browned it in the dutch oven with onions. Brown is important, not just grey. If you look in most pics there is no plate setter. I did this at 375 or 400 degrees. Just get the dutch oven hot first.[p]Pb290113.jpg
    [p]Added Peppers to soften slightly.[p]Pb290114.jpg
    [p]2 cans of red kidney
    2 cans of pinto
    more onion
    chili powder
    oregano
    salt
    pepper
    tomatoes
    cayanne pepper
    jalapeno
    cumin
    coffee about half a cup
    corona beer[p]Plus what ever you add in your chili[p]Pb290115.jpg

[p]I put the plate setter in and simmered it for 2-3 hours, adding liquid (beer or tomato juice) as needed. I left the lid off the whole time. I think I used Oak wood for the smoke flavor, 2-3 chunks. I left the lid off the whole time and the smokey flavor was perfect.[p]I don't think I would add the plate setter any more. You really need to have a raging fire to keep it simmering.

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Cote,
    These Recipes are proven winners. Of course, you should formulate your own based upon these recipes.[p]Let us know what you come up with,
    RhumAndJerk

[ul][li]Terlingua International Chili Championship[/ul]
  • GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    KennyGChili.jpg
    <p />KennyG has a great recipe for smoked chili. Here it is straight from Kenny. Those are firebricks in my small with a 5 quart dutch oven. I've done it twice for a neighborhood chili cookoff, but never won anything but the first empty pot award. Texans are biased about beans in chili.[p]Here's the base recipe. This will provide 4 hearty servings and will
    double, triple, and quadruple nicely for company and larger crowds. I made a triple batch for EggFest.[p]1 large can (28 oz.) seasoned diced tomatoes and liquid (Muir Glen brand is the best that I've found), any brand will do.
    2 cans (14 oz. each) chili beans and liquid - mild or hot or one of each (I like Bush's but have had good luck with Joan of Ark, Libbeys, and the supermarket's house brand)
    1 lb. ground meat or sausage. (ground chuck, sirloin in any fat/lean
    combination, leftover sausage, etc. I used a 2:1 ratio of ground meat and spicy pork sausage in ATL.
    2-3 strips bacon
    3 medium cloves of garlic run through a garlic press.
    1 large or 2 small onions, medium chop (Vidalia or Texas sweet, Maui, etc)
    2 T. chili powder (McCormick is fine or something better)
    1 T. ground cumin
    1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
    1 squirt Hershey's chocolate syrup or equivalent
    Splash of Balsamic Vinegar
    Splash of Tabasco sauce or your favorite
    1 tsp. oregano
    2 T. general purpose BBQ rub (Lysanders, Bilardo Bros, Dizzy Dust, etc)
    6oz. beef broth or better yet - beer or fruity red wine (use the cheap
    stuff)
    1 large dried chili pepper - pasilla (wimpy) Chipotle (hotter) pequin
    (hotter yet) Scotch bonnet or Habenero (five alarm)
    Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.
    Wood chunks - I used hickory, mesquite and pecan in ATL[p]Preparation:[p]Preheat your Egg to 275-300�
    Open tomato and bean cans and dump into appropriately sized "chili pot",
    deep Corningware casserole dish, metal stockpot, cast iron Dutch oven, etc.
    Fry bacon extra crisp in a non stick skillet and remove and crumble into chili pot.
    Use bacon drippings to brown ground meat or sausage seasoning with salt and
    pepper as you go. Halfway through the browning process, add onions and
    garlic, drain grease and dump contents into chili pot. Float your dried
    chili(s) on top.
    Add in all remaining ingredients and stir thoroughly to incorporate well.
    Cook on the Egg with smoking chunks, placing chilipot on a pizza stone or
    other "thermal barrier". This allows the chili to heat slowly and pick up more smoke flavor. Stir and taste every 20 minutes or so. Remove the
    dried pepper when you have the heat you might be looking for. Monitor the
    chili temp with an instant read thermo or Polder. At about 140� internal and 1.5 to 2 hours, remove the thermal barrier. With the pot directly over the heat now, it should come up to almost a boil in about 30 more minutes.[p]Serve with thinly sliced green onions and grated cheddar cheese on top.[p]It will taste even better the next day, of course.

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    Eggecutione[p]If you invert your plate setter you will get it plenty hot enough to simmer.[p]Nice pictorial.[p]Mick

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    It's amazing how similar those recipes are to each other. -RP

• RhumAndJerk
    Options
    AZRP,
    The techniques that they follow are what I really learned from this site. Having multiple Spice dumps and using the Goya Sazon really added a nice complexity that is hard to achieve otherwise. One word of warning is that the sazon powder does have MSG in it, but I have never had a problem with it. [p]Here was my last variation:[p]In a Cast Iron Dutch Oven,
    Brown 1 pounds of cubed chuck tender beef
    Brown 1.5 pounds of Hamburger
    Add 1 large Onion, chopped towards the end of browning[p]Deglaze with .25 cup Jim Beam Bourbon[p]Add:
    1 cup Water
    1 cup strong Coffee
    7 whole Tomatoes, peeled and cored
    1 Tbls. Beef Better-Than-Bouillon
    1 Tbls. Chicken Better-Than-Bouillon
    Float 1 Chipotle Pepper [p]Bring to a boil and add: [p]4 cloves Garlic, crushed
    1 Tbls. - Chili Powder
    2 Tbls. – Dizzy Pig Cowlick Rub
    ¼ tsp. - Black Pepper
    1 packet - Sazon Goya [p]Place in Egg, uncovered, on a platesetter at 250 using a chunk of Red Oak and a chunk of Pecan and simmer for about an hour, then add: [p].5 tsp. – Oregano
    .5 tsp. – Onion Powder
    1 Tbls. – Chili Powder
    2 Tbls. – Dizzy Pig Cowlick Rub
    .25 tsp. – Black Pepper
    5 packet – Sazon Goya [p]Simmer for approximately one hour. [p]Add: [p]1 Tbls. – Cumin seeds, crushed
    ½ packet – Sazon Goya [p]Simmer for approximately 60 minutes or until the cubed beef fall apart. Taste and add salt and cayenne as needed. [p]
    Enjoy,
    RhumAndJerk

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]Thanks. I'm gonna give that a try![p]Cheers,[p]Ed

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Eggecutioner
    Options
    MickeyT,[p]I agree. In fact in the pics you can see that I did use the plate setter. Once I put the plate setter in I gave it about 40 minute to stabilize. It still wasn't simmering, So I opened the vents to get the temp up. Seemed like I went through a whole lot-o-charcoal. Thats why I said I don't think I would use the setter again.
    Joe

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]I am all for that recipe. Now I know what a chili amateur I am.[p]Joe
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    What is Goya Sazon? -RP

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]Man, that sounds awesome right about now...[p]Later,
    Cornfed

• RhumAndJerk
    Options
    AZRP,
    It is Latino seasoning found in the ethnic isle of you grocery store. It comes in a box of foil pouches. It is used for many different dishes including yellow rice. It is very common.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk

[ul][li]Goya Sazon[/ul]
  • DTM
    DTM Posts: 127
    Options
    Yo R & J,
    That sounds kick-a. I put it in the files.
    Hope the transition is going well.
    So you left K~G own his own? Shoot me a hookup for both pls.
    I checked out of the working world, currently resting on my very wilted laruels (sp?) so my southern trips are less frequent.
    Think I'll do your chili run and on the last dump take the floating chipotle and blender w/ some pot liquid and strain back in. I like it hot & smokey.
    Pasillas de Oaxaca are the best smoked chili...I only have 1 sm bag left.
    Adios
    Dan
    dtm0919 @ yahoo