Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first reverse sear (new guy)

Options
CaseIHman
CaseIHman Posts: 22
edited November 2014 in EggHead Forum
Thanks to all for the instructions!

Comments

• CaseIHman
    Options
    I am new to this site! All of you people's amazing cooks make me feel plain Jane. I am going to have to step it up a lot.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks like a winner to me brother. Welcome aboard.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,661
    Options
    Welcome. Steak looks good!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Welcome, and wonderful looking staek!
    :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Welcome. 100% nailed it. I'd eat it. :-bd
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Welcome! Great looking steak. I like the Case IH. I stopped out at my uncles farm today and he showed us his latest restoration. Just finished up an old Case SC restoration. He bought the Case because his Dad my Grandpa use to run one when he was a kid. A year or two ago he restored an old Minneapolis Moline. Not sure the model but it's gray. Earlier since it's not yellow in color. He said that they only produced 600 of that particular model. It has the original motor. My Uncle mentioned that most of the original motors were switched out by farmers since they had issues with them. He thinks that there are a few hundred left with the original motor in that particular model. He also has a Moline Z that needs restoration. My Grandpa use to work for Minneapolis Moline. My Grandpa got super sick when he was younger and the Doc told him he couldn't do any physical labor for 2 years. So any farm work was a big no, no. So he took a job painting tractors for Moline. So Moline is a favorite around here. Being a city slicker myself I find farming and machinery very intriguing. I don't understand half the stuff they talk about but I do find it fascinating. Cool to see your tractor as your avatar
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • GoVols
    GoVols Posts: 216
    Options
    Welcome ! Looks great
    Tim Rickman,Tn.
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Welcome...great looking juicy steak !!!  My favorite, especially since I've learned reverse seer !!!

I just did a rib eye last night myself...best one I've done so far.

Welcome again and just jump in...looks like you've got a good start.

What size egg do you have ?

Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Nice job! Welcome

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• CaseIHman
    Options
    I have a large I bought last Feb. The High Schools woods class made this table from a picture on this site.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Beautiful steak!!! Nice looking table too. Lots of working space. Just a suggestion about your table. You might want to put a small air gap between the egg and the tile it sits on. Btw welcome and enjoy your stay
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Nice job.  There is some great looking grub on here and top notch Eggers.  I'm sure learning a lot, welcome from another new comer.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Welcome aboard. Looks like you hit the ground running! Very nice cook.
  • Tackman
    Tackman Posts: 230
    Options
    Nicely done.
    Cleveland, Ohio
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    1st reverse sear. There's no turning back now you've officially entered the dark side. Nicely done! =D>
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • FarmerTom
    Options
    CaseIHman ?  I bought a 766 black stripe in 1976, brand new.  Only new tractor I have owned.  Still run it today.  One tough machine.  And good looking steaks.  Welcome to the forum.  I'm new also, not too many with less posts than me.

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    Once I tried a reverse sear, I wanted to kick myself right in the pills because now I'm doomed to a life of cooking steaks that way, and it takes more time and effort. (worth it)

Recently I accomplished a trifecta. Three ribeyes, 1.25" thick, prime - feeding three adults. One rare, one medium rare, one medium.

Trick is to put the 115f medium on first sear, and then each of the others 30 seconds apart.

Remove in reverse order after flipping - rare first, pull it at 120f then wait for the medium rare next, 130f. That (overcooked) medium last so that hers is first on and last off when it (finally) gets to 140f.

Hectic taking temperatures, in the dark with a flashlight, 45f. ambient November in Indiana losing lots of heat every time I pull the dome.

I put the steaks in a small cooler with a tupperware container inside, close the lid to keep them warm while the others are coming up to temp. SWMBO finally got her steak right the first time without me having to go back out and re-fire. (I'd rather err on the rare side, right?)

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Wonderful looking steak.  Welcome aboard!!!
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • CaseIHman
    Options
    FarmerTom I am in Nebraska. I was born and raised on a farm that always ran John Deere, so I have a all original 1968 4020 with ROPS canopy and 3668 original hours in the shed. I started selling CaseIH and caught a lot of crap, so the hunt was on! I originally set out to buy a Black Stripe from Kentucky but it had the TA delete, so by chance a friend called and said an Estate wanted to sell this 856! So I looked with intentions to buy, and it was a one owner with 3883 hours. In the spring of 1972 all that was available was a 856 and owner wanted a 1256, so IH sent 3 boys out with a clutch, radiator, turbo, hood pieces and all necessary components to please the customer. All work was done while it was brand new so it is truly one of a kind.
  • FarmerTom
    Options

Really nice looking tractor.  I'm partial to IH.  My mother was the bookkeeper at our local IH dealer for many years.  So we got a discount on parts, plus she could bring home whatever we needed. Got that 766 at cost in '76, worth more now than I paid for it. I do have a JD 6300 though, so I'm integrated now.

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies