Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rare Who-roast beast

Options

Started with a 7 lb bottom roast.  I rubbed it lightly with EVOO and SPOG, sat it in the fridge Thursday night.  Saturday morning, after a wonderful French toast breakfast with homemade bacon, I fired up the Egg to grill temp of 300 with a couple hickory chunks just for fun, raised and indirect.  I put the roast in, and almost 2.5 hours later, several places around the middle probed IT 130.  I was amazed at how quickly it finished, but this being my first time with roast beef, it was all totally an experiment.  So... I pulled it, and this massive hunk of beef smelled really good.  I wrapped it up in foil to rest while we put the kids down for a nap.  This next part is my failing... but I sliced it.  I didn't refrigerate it, no freezer, I threw it on the slicer and sliced it.  Had I refrigerated it, I probably would have been able to shave it thinner, but it still came out very good.  These are ready for sammiches.  Did someone say sammiches?  Oh, well let's bake up some homemade buns, whip up some homemade Arby's sauce, and we're ready for a big ol Arby-Q!  The beef is very tasty too, and quite moist.  Very happy with this cook.

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    That looks delicious! I haven't done a big hunk of beef in way too long. I have a 1940something Globe just sitting there feeling neglected too. Hardly ever use it.

Did you make the regular red Arby's sauce, the Horsey sauce or both? I haven't been to Arby's in years. A lotta years. Not even sure where on is around here. But I used to like both sauces on a beef sandwich. If you could post the recipe(s), it would be appreciated. 

Gonna have to do this soon!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    To quote your avi, "I'm in"
  • Little Steven
    Options
    That looks delicious! I haven't done a big hunk of beef in way too long. I have a 1940something Globe just sitting there feeling neglected too. Hardly ever use it.

Did you make the regular red Arby's sauce, the Horsey sauce or both? I haven't been to Arby's in years. A lotta years. Not even sure where on is around here. But I used to like both sauces on a beef sandwich. If you could post the recipe(s), it would be appreciated. 

The Eisenhower administration?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

No. Truman. Smart ass.  :))

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    I'm ready for a sammy...
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options

No. Truman. Smart ass.  :))
    Give Steve a break.  He's Canadian.  I'm impressed he knew how to spell Eisenhower.
    Flint, Michigan