Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Brisket, how do you save leftovers

Options
After almost 2yrs, finally trying brisket. 14lb packer, just my wife and daughter will be enjoying this with me. None of us have the ability to eat like SGH. Not so much what to cook with the leftovers, but how should I divide it up? Should I cut it into chunks, slice it, chop it? Also it seems to have a very large point verse flat.

Comments

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    I place slices in a vac bag and then freeze. The point normally cut up into burnt ends and placed in a vac bag as well. That way I can toss the bag into simmer water to reheat and enjoy.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Vac seal if possible. I cut it up (especially the flat) for chili.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    Make chili. Seriously. I had the same issue 3 weeks ago. I had probably 5# left over. I chopped it up and made a big batch of chili that I froze and will be just fine.
    Eat the Point, chop the flat for chili.

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,794
    Options
    fruitguy said:
    After almost 2yrs, finally trying brisket. 14lb packer, just my wife and daughter will be enjoying this with me. None of us have the ability to eat like SGH. Not so much what to cook with the leftovers, but how should I divide it up? Should I cut it into chunks, slice it, chop it? Also it seems to have a very large point verse flat.

First you have the option of sending the leftovers to me ;) In all seriousness, if you are wanting to save the remaining brisket "as is", the absolute best way is to vacuume seal and then freeze. There is no other way that even approaches this method in retained quality.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Vacume seal for sure. However, I don't slice mine before freezing. I do that after it's reheated and I use hot water to warm it back up.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • fruitguy
    fruitguy Posts: 303
    Options
    Thanks About 90 minutes in. Egg has recovered to about 200 grate. Smells great looking forward to tomorrow
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Foodsaver vac sealer, buy the rolls by the case, cheaper.
    :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Learning to Smoke
    Options
    I don't have a foodsaver. I chop all the remaining brisket together and portion it out @ a pound per ziplock freezer quart bag. Works fine for us. Tasty with scrambled eggs, over a baked potatoe ect,
  • ATLJack
    Options
    I have a related question.  My first brisket is a 10 pound flat, at most we will eat 4-5lbs of it tomorrow.  Am I better off smoking the whole flat and freezing leftovers or should I cut it in half now and freeze 5lbs raw to smoke next month?

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    What are leftovers ? Especially with brisket....I eat half on the way into the house !!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    dldawes1 said:
    What are leftovers ? Especially with brisket....I eat half on the way into the house !!

ABSOLUTELY!  Brisket done on BGE is like candy that is irresistible.  :)

I make shredded beef or sliced brisket tacos the next day and they are pretty tasty.