Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I love this stuff (bacon)

Options
Cookinbob
Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
edited November 2014 in EggHead Forum
A couple of weeks ago I picked up a pork belly at Restaurant Depot.  Cured a 3 lb piece for Pancetta, the rest became bacon.  In the cure for a week, hot smoked on the XL on Thursday, I finally got around to slicing and packaging tonight.  I cured and smoked the trimmings along with the large piece.  Small pieces get diced up and frozen for use as an ingredient (did bacon risotto on Thursday, Fettucini Carbonara last night, and breakfast pizzas this morning). The big slab got sliced and vacuum sealed.  Of course there were a few misshapen pieces that I had to fry up and sample;)   The Pancetta does not get cooked or smoked, it is hanging in the cellar until it loses 30% of its weight.  Can't wait!

Something tells me however that I should not be eating bacon 4 times a week.  I might do better next week with everything frozen.
imageimage
XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
Rochester, NY

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    OK, what was the price of the belly at RD? I need to do some more...

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Cookinbob
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I paid $1.98 per lb., was blown away it was so cheap.  A week later, my son went to RD in Buffalo, an hour away, and bought 2 bellies for $1.50 per lb !!!!!!!!!!

It is sure not Berkshire pork, but I can tell you it makes great bacon!
    Rochester, NY
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Cookinbob said:
    I paid $1.98 per lb., was blown away it was so cheap.  A week later, my son went to RD in Buffalo, an hour away, and bought 2 bellies for $1.50 per lb !!!!!!!!!!

It is sure not Berkshire pork, but I can tell you it makes great bacon!
    Thanks! For those prices I see a RD run this week...

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Awesome bacon, because bacon. If you are only eating it 4 times a week maybe you need to step up your game? There are 7 days in a week yo!
    :-bd =))
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Options
    Looks fantastic.  My latest batch has a a few days left to cure.  So great to have bacon you are 100% aware of what's in it.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    I have 9# curing right now.  It is local, pasture raised, so it wasn't cheap. But the fat is so creamy you could eat it with a spoon.

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    @cookinbob - nice slices BTW. What slicer to you use? I think I'm going to have to invest in one. I'm pretty good w/ a sharp knife and can take down a couple pounds pretty neatly and easily. But a slicer would be a huge help.

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • Cookinbob
    Options
    Slicer is a Chefs Choice 615. Not commercial grade but works well for me. Amazon sells it
    Rochester, NY
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,661
    Options
    Your bacon looks great! I just put 3lb of belly in the cure today? What cure do you use? I went with the basic cure this time with brown sugar added.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• SeahawksEGGHead
    Options
    I got a Chefs Choice 615 as well, sliced up my bacon yesterday with it.  These look terrific, and amazing price on the bellies!
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    Nice looking bacon want to make some soon 
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • Cookinbob
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:

Your bacon looks great! I just put 3lb of belly in the cure today? What cure do you use? I went with the basic cure this time with brown sugar added.

I use Ruhlmans basic cure, 17 g per lb. plus a little extra sugar.
    Rochester, NY
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options

Looks fantastic.....but we drive to Nueskes in Whittenburg and pick up their sales 5# for $12.95..

bought 8 bags (40#)....it's great

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    =D>  There are no words to describe how beautiful that is...

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Cookinbob
    Options
    Griffin said:

=D>  There are no words to describe how beautiful that is...

Thanks man!
    Rochester, NY
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    looking good @cookinbob ! Mine will be ready to smoke tomorrow.  Cant wait to see how it comes out!
  • Cookinbob
    Options
    Post a pic @stv8r!
    Rochester, NY
  • CrookedTreeBBQ
    Options

Cured, smoked, or grilled; pork belly is just good. As Malcom say's the 'creme del le creme' of pork. Mastering pork belly in all dishes covers quite a few skills (i suffer with 'Crackling' perfection). Nonetheless; that is a nice "Belly of Bacon', great looking plate!

• BearQ
    BearQ Posts: 174
    Options
    Looks great.. Just finished curing my 1st belly on Friday. Paid a lot more @ $5 lb. wonder if I can bring meat across the border?
    Barrie,Ont.,Canada.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    BearQ said:
    Looks great.. Just finished curing my 1st belly on Friday. Paid a lot more @ $5 lb. wonder if I can bring meat across the border?
    I don't know if there are any asian markets in Barrie but belly is usually $2-3 a pound in the outskirts of TO

Steve 

Caledon, ON